Funny bug with D&D !

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Clo

Funny bug with D&D !

Post by *Clo »

:) Hello !

• To reproduce this amusing bug :

1. Please, download and install that small programme -only unpack it into any empty folder, this is simply a watch.
2. Make a button in a button-bar for it.
3. Select any file *.txt, image, archive… and carry it on the button of the watch :
- The file is accepted ! The watch is displayed, and you get the current time ! :P A double-click to close it.

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Clo,
  • Your link does not work.
  • I don't understand what you consider a bug.
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

@Hacker right click and save target as...

@Clo the program require VB6FR.dll
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

ts4242,
Thanks.
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?vb6fr

Clo,
I can run the file now and still see no problem.

Roman
P.S.: How do I exit the program? Alt-F4 doesn't work, RMB on taskbar button doesn't work, only killing in task manager.
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

Hacker wrote:ts4242,
Roman
P.S.: How do I exit the program? Alt-F4 doesn't work, RMB on taskbar button doesn't work, only killing in task manager.
Double click :lol:

@Clo where is the problem, drag a file to toolbar button will launch the program even if the program doesn't accept a file e.g. Calc.exe; Sol.exe etc...
Clo

Lacuna

Post by *Clo »

2Hacker

:) Hi Roman !

• Double-click to close was in the start-message…

• IMHO, a file might not be accepted by a programme unable to do anything with it : neither edit, nor open, nor any processing.

- We might get the “Ø” cursor, I guess. Indeed, this needs a quick parsing of the target-EXE
about the kind of programme it's or so.
- Call it a misfeature or a lacuna whether you prefer, but anyway it's abnormal.
Notes :
1. Sorry for the VB, but I've it here and didn't look for the programming language…
2. The server @Lycos is a bit temperamental…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

ts4242,
Thanks.

Clo,
Double-click to close was in the start-message...
Ah, I see, indeed.
IMHO, a file might not be accepted by a programme unable to do anything with it : neither edit, nor open, nor any processing.
Well, what do you mean by "accepted"?
We might get the “Ø” cursor, I guess. Indeed, this needs a quick parsing of the target-EXE
about the kind of programme it's or so.
How is TC supposed to know if a program supports command line parameters? You don't expect TC to disassemble and analyze the program, do you?

Roman
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod]Moved to TC 7 beta discussion.

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Clo

Version info ?

Post by *Clo »

2Hacker

:) On one hand, “Accepted” is obvious : you get the (new) [+ & pages] cursor (formerly the arrow & three pages), it's the wording in the help - even for the current 7.0 ß1 version (not really updated about the cursors) :
Help –> Drag & Drop wrote
A slashed circle means that the application under the pointer will not accept a Drop, or that the dragged files have the wrong extension.

An arrow with three little squares attached to it means that the application is ready to accept the files. If you now release the left mouse button the files are accepted by the application.
• No need to break the whole EXE, only see the "Version Info" in the resources, “Viewer” or “Editor” are there… Like one can see in the Win Properties…
• “…have the wrong extension…” leads to think that the file-type must be associated with that programme, must it not ?
- This is not the case here…
• On the other hand, if I carry a file (let's say a text-file) on the “Pack” button, it's refused Ø - while it could open the dialogue in order to be packed :?
- I guess that behaviour is confusing for newbies and could be improved.

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Clo,
That part of Help applies to dragging to external applications, not onto the Button bar.

Roman
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

There is no bug here. TC transfers parameter to the program and the program which is started with the parameter then decides what to do with it. This is not TC's job to decide.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Clo

Fishing rod soon

Post by *Clo »

2Hacker

:) It behaves the same - or it might do when there is no association-
For me the button is no more than the "digest" of it's program.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
2icfu

:) Hi Jeff !

• If to start any progamme with any non-associated file is not a bug, I guess I'll go fishing till the end of these tests…:P

:mrgreen: KR - VG
Claude
Clo
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

File associations are only important when double clicking a file or when using DDE, drag&drop operations. Obviously it's possible for an application to report what file extensions it can eat in this case. But anyway, this is something completely different than drag&drop to a button. TC is expected to start the application with the parameters I want to use.

The basic principle about command lines is that the target application decides what to do with the parameters, not the caller. Your clock simply ignores the parameters as you can see, which is the expected behaviour.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Clo,
If to start any progamme with any non-associated file is not a bug
Just try running

Code: Select all

xnview.exe unins000.dat
;)

Roman
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Good example! :)

Icfu
This account is for sale