New lister: line numbers?

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pi

New lister: line numbers?

Post by *pi »

Hi all,

the new beta 7 lister features a caret - great.

But now arises the next wish: I would like to see the line number the cursor is in - or even line numbers for every line of text.
I can see that this is difficult for large files when they are not read completely.
But when the value is available the line number could be shown next to the relative position in the file (upper right corner).

pi
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

++
Habemus majkam!
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Please use the search this has allready been discussed :!:
Solution is to use Syn as Lister-Plugin:
http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/syn.html
Hoecker sie sind raus!
pi

Post by *pi »

Sorry, I only searched german forum...

there I also found a comment from Chr. Ghisler about NOT implementing a caret in lister... 8-) (http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=1178)
So I had hope he would re-think the line numbers either.

I already knew that there are plugins around that show line numbers; at least the "lister plugin writer's guide" offers one with source code.

But I dont't want to install TC plus a gazillion of plugins on every PC that crosses my way just in case... TC alone has to be sufficient.

pi
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

@pi: LineNumbering wont be insert and u dont need to install TC everywhere once on an usb-stick is enough.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
pi

Post by *pi »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:u dont need to install TC everywhere once on an usb-stick is enough.
Wrong. When I touch an unknown PC I make sure TC is installed because I often get phone calls (yes, late night...) from their owners.
Most of them never heard about a file system and are not capable to navigate to the folder I am interested in. So I have to direct them (yes, still by phone). You know: "start the explorer" - "no, not the internet explorer but the windows explorer" - "yes, now find drive D:" - "no, not on your PC case! In explorer!" - ...

But they are able to start TC and click on one of the locked tabs I left there.

So it saves me a good amount of sleep to have TC everywhere... 8-)

pi

The USB stick with my personal TC installation and a lot of tools is of course my personal swiss army knife. But it's too expensive to leave them everywhere. 8-)
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

You install on other people software without being ask so :?:

And for Explorer: Learn Windows-Key + E :-)
Hoecker sie sind raus!
pi

Post by *pi »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:You install on other people software without being ask so :?:
Of course not! I ask whether I may install TC or not. No one has denied that yet. Remember, the owner is not a power user but a newbie who needs help - my help.
Sir_SiLvA wrote:And for Explorer: Learn Windows-Key + E :-)
No. Why should I?

I learned to operate Norton Commander a long time before I had my first contact with Windows (3.0, rest in peace) and am SO glad to have a tool that uses all of the key codes I memorized then...

And I never got comfortable with the explorer. To copy files you either need two windows and use drag'n'drop (what TC offers too) or you need to find the source, mark & copy the files [memorize what you are doing], find the destination and insert them. In TC you _first_ select source and destination and then copy the files. Either one by one or as a group. Nothing to memorize - good for me.

Well, most of my "customers" now prefer TC over Explorer. One can even synchronize his laptop, his PC and his USB disk without any other tools.
With Explorer, he just copied a folder (he had at least 10 copies of it on his USB disk...).

pi