Suggestion about Background Copy/Move

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Bushi

Suggestion about Background Copy/Move

Post by *Bushi »

My idea for new TC7.
I think the following image is more clear than words . :P :lol:

Image: http://blog.21softs.com/attachment/1163253018_0.gif
-= Total Commander Loyal Fan. =-
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Support++
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Yes, that would be nice.
Stitscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stitscher »

Good idea.
Support.

Stitscher
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Yes, nice one. When the process is returned to foreground though, it would be nice if F2 worked too, in order to pass it to background queue (i'm not sure if it's happening now). It might also be nice if while in background mode, F2 worked and passed the background window to the queue.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

What should this be actually useful for?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unortunately it's not possible, because some other dialog could be in the foreground now, or user could click this for two background threads...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Bushi

Post by *Bushi »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Unortunately it's not possible, because some other dialog could be in the foreground now, or user could click this for two background threads...
Well, that's reasonable . :oops: :D

But I think it can only restore the windows user click.
If more 2 threads existing , then TC should disable those restore buttons.
-= Total Commander Loyal Fan. =-
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Hacker wrote:What should this be actually useful for?

Roman
I have set as default AlwaysCopyInBackground=1 in my INI. Sometimes i start a copy of a large file and before it finishes, i realize i want to copy more files. In that case (and in order for my PC not to become extra slow), i have either to abort the copy and start all of them using F2 or wait for the first copy to finish and then start the rest with F2. It's a little annoying. I have seen that TC7 has AlwaysCopyInBackground=2 but i don't like having such a large window open for copy tasks all the time.

I wish the background manager window could somehow be "injected" inside TC's main window. Perhaps in an extra tabs row or something...
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

wanderer wrote:I wish the background manager window could somehow be "injected" inside TC's main window. Perhaps in an extra tabs row or something...
Hmmm. I wonder... What if a new option existed, something like vertical tabs at the left of the window, or something like the vertical button-selection bar MSOutlook has. Some of the tabs options could be: file manager (TC's current look), synchronize dirs, search, and any other option that currently opens a separate window in TC (which BTW is modal at the moment).
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

wanderer,
Sometimes i start a copy of a large file and before it finishes, i realize i want to copy more files. In that case (and in order for my PC not to become extra slow), i have either to abort the copy and start all of them using F2 or wait for the first copy to finish and then start the rest with F2.
I still don't understand how bringing a background copy back to foreground would solve your problem. You would still either have to wait or cancel the copy process if you want to copy the additional files.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Hacker wrote:I still don't understand how bringing a background copy back to foreground would solve your problem. You would still either have to wait or cancel the copy process if you want to copy the additional files.

Roman
... or :

1. send it to background manager and add the other files immediatelly.

2. bring it to foreground and then perform (1).

:)
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

wanderer,
send it to background manager
How? There are only the Cancel and Background buttons, neither of which sends the copy process to the BTM.

Roman
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Hacker wrote:wanderer,
send it to background manager
How? There are only the Cancel and Background buttons, neither of which sends the copy process to the BTM.

Roman
Hi Hacker

Sorry for the delay but an HDD crash can easily disorganize you.

That's what i'm asking. A way to send it to background manager. Either make F2 work from that window or add a new button (send to BG manager). :)
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
now

Re: Suggestion about Background Copy/Move

Post by *now »

How did you create this lovely image? I use photoshop, badly, and my images look like crap (although I do think I get my point across most of the time). Having images like these would be a lot better.

Thanks!