Multi-rename tool overwrite feature

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

alik

Multi-rename tool overwrite feature

Post by *alik »

Hi,

I would like to see the "overwrite file" feature in the multi-rename tool (if some new file names conflicts with original file names not included in the rename list). In every reasonable case, please, show the conflict names.

Thanks,

Martin
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Overwrite feature has been discussed before. Either it will be annoying (overwrite box for each conflict) or it will be extremely dangerous even for people who know what they are doing (overwrite all). Under certain circumstances you could easily nuke your complete data.

Icfu
This account is for sale
alik

Post by *alik »

icfu wrote:Overwrite feature has been discussed before. Either it will be annoying (overwrite box for each conflict) or it will be extremely dangerous even for people who know what they are doing (overwrite all). Under certain circumstances you could easily nuke your complete data.

Icfu
Oh, I had not find the discussion...

Ok, please let me know what files are in the conflict at least, so I can make a decission or a fix easilier.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Ok, please let me know what files are in the conflict at least, so I can make a decission or a fix easilier.
Sounds reasonable, I support that! Indeed the resulting file names should be checked before the renaming starts to prevent conflicts. Maybe conflicting filenames should simply be displayed with a bold font. I have a déjà-vu here, I guess this has been proposed before too... ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
alik

Post by *alik »

icfu wrote:
Sounds reasonable, I support that! Indeed the resulting file names should be checked before the renaming starts to prevent conflicts. Maybe conflicting filenames should simply be displayed with a bold font. I have a déjà-vu here, I guess this has been proposed before too... ;)

Icfu
If you have files only bolded, it should be hard to find them in case of several thousands of files to be renamed. It should be there something more... for example a filter.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

The more complicated your proposal is, the less likely is the chance of implementation. I fail to imagine what you mean with a "filter", please specify how this one should work.

Icfu
This account is for sale
alik

Post by *alik »

icfu wrote:The more complicated your proposal is, the less likely is the chance of implementation. I fail to imagine what you mean with a "filter", please specify how this one should work.
It's something very simple. Just to show only the rows with a conflict.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Why is that better than making them bold only? You have to scroll the list anyway when you have lots of filenames, also you need to see ALL filenames when you want to solve a conflict, right?

So, I am afraid I cannot follow you here. It sounds simple but is more complicated than it sounds maybe?

Icfu
This account is for sale
alik

Post by *alik »

icfu wrote:Why is that better than making them bold only? You have to scroll the list anyway when you have lots of filenames, also you need to see ALL filenames when you want to solve a conflict, right?

So, I am afraid I cannot follow you here. It sounds simple but is more complicated than it sounds maybe?
Consider, that you have 2000 files to rename, but only 4 of them are in a conflict. It's faster for you to manualy scroll over the 2000 items or see just 4 items? For me the second one (but there still have to be an option to see the whole list).

Note: I can imagine two types of conflicts:
a) several are to be renamed to the same file name
b) a file is going to receive a name of the currently existed file not in the rename-list.
The third option c) a file is going to reveive an original name of another file seems to be already solved in TC.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

I just tested it: When the warning window pops up it contains the filename of the file in question in the header.

Image: http://sheepdog.drivehq.com/images/mrt.png
Image: http://sheepdog.drivehq.com/images/mrt2.png

I guess there is no list of all conflicting files because TC stops checking when a conflict occurs.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
alik

Post by *alik »

Sheepdog wrote:I just tested it: When the warning window pops up it contains the filename of the file in question in the header.

Image: http://sheepdog.drivehq.com/images/mrt.png
Image: http://sheepdog.drivehq.com/images/mrt2.png

I guess there is no list of all conflicting files because TC stops checking when a conflict occurs.
Hmm... In general, IMHO the title bar is not the best place for the information like this... I had not notice that.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

alik wrote:Hmm... In general, IMHO the title bar is not the best place for the information like this...
I agree with that. The info should be probably displayed in the messagebox, too.

I have noticed it only before my post.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

In general, IMHO the title bar is not the best place for the information like this
I totally agree :!:
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Consider, that you have 2000 files to rename, but only 4 of them are in a conflict. It's faster for you to manualy scroll over the 2000 items or see just 4 items? For me the second one (but there still have to be an option to see the whole list).
You mustn't ignore the possibility that 200 files have a conflict instead of only 4. Creating an enhancement only for the best case scenario is no good idea. ;)

Maybe it would be possible to add another column, visually separated from the filelist which contains all file names and has the conflicts painted boldly, that additionally contains a list of the conflicting filenames only. No matter what, I neither like popups nor do I like solutions like "hide normal filenames if a maximum of 20 files have a conflict, otherwise display them all" solutions, if you know what I mean...

Icfu
This account is for sale
slavne

another vote for adding multi rename overwright

Post by *slavne »

Yes, the problems are there, and yes they can be risky. But I should agree with Alik that users need that possibility. For example I need it very often.

Hey, to push it to the extreme: why don't you forbid deleting non-empty directories then? But no, you allow for deleting non-empty directories with proper warning of course.

There is no excuse for not having that feature in the best file manager ever made for Windows