REQ: Some needed features

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gpant

REQ: Some needed features

Post by *gpant »

Some features that I would like to see in the new version Smile

Lister shouldn't try to load the whole TXT file in memory.
I have to view txt files which are quite large from 500MB to 2GB and even larger. The TXT
file should be buffered and read on scrolling.

Custom Shorting per Folder View.
There are cases that I want the files in a folder view to be shorted in a specific way everytime.

Better Handling of UNC Paths
+ It should be optional to put the SMB Server String on the UNC path most of the times I need to edit the path and I have to remove the server string.
+ Last UNC Paths should be remembered in the path editor ie a drop down of last paths.
+ We should be able to add UNC Paths to a list that would appear in the Drive Selector.

SSH/FISH Implementation
Cygwin can be used so the author doesnt need to write the code itself just to hook with the ssh dll's. Then the user has to get the required dll's and no export laws apply.

Track File Changes in folder view
It would be nice if TC could track file changes [Windows API] and select the change files automatically. ie the user would enable the track changes option through a shortcut and when he finishes his work with that files he would stop the file tracking. It should be optional of what changes to track ie name change/writes/reads etc.

Remote TC Panels
The ability to view the panel of another computer running TC.
This will enable users to control TC in a remote computer by viewing its panels in the current computer.

File Tracking Filters
I am a Developer and I am working on various projects at the same time. In my Local Source Tree I almost always want to have a file selected to be always the last or first file in the current view.
ie
-------------------------^
-MyFile.~dpr -
-MyFile.frm -
-MyFile.dpr -
-MyFile.exe - <-- I want to mark this file as tracked Up/Down
-... -
-OtherFile.~dpr -
-OtherFile.frm -
-OtherFile.dpr -
-OtherFile.exe -
-... -
------------------------\/

Thus The View Would be

-------------------------^
-MyFile.exe - <-- The marked file will always be in this line if its tracked Up
-... -
-OtherFile.~dpr -
-OtherFile.frm -
-OtherFile.dpr -
-OtherFile.exe -
-... -
-SomeOtherFile.dpr -
-... -
------------------------\/
[mod] According to the Forum Rules, please post only ONE topic per thread, such multiple requests can't be treated properly and confuse all readers, the Author prior.
TIA to split that article.
Claude
Clo, Modérator[/mod]
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2gpant
Lister shouldn't try to load the whole TXT file in memory.
Are you sure Lister does that :?:

From the Help file:
The internal file lister (F3)
The integrated file lister allows to view files of almost any size (now up to 2^63 bytes) in text, unicode, html, binary or hex format, bitmap graphics, multimedia files, and now also RTF files. It keeps only a small part of the file in memory (except for bitmaps), the rest is automatically loaded when scrolling through the text.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
gpant

Post by *gpant »

I am pretty sure the lister is doing that, I will have to check again if I have some plug in handling my txt viewing. I will do that tomorrow tnx for your reply.

To the mod really sorry, my mistake that I haven't looked the post rules before. Please feel free to delete this post I already spliced the Post.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I am pretty sure the lister is doing that, I will have to check again if I have some plug in handling my txt viewing. I will do that tomorrow tnx for your reply.
You are probably using a plugin like SynPlus or hpg_ed. Just check the Lister title to find out what plugin is used.

You can open Lister without plugins with Alt+Shift+F3.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
gpant

Post by *gpant »

you are completely correct I vnc'ed to my office workstation and checked that I am using synplus.

Thanks for your help.