Source <----> Target swap for internal packer

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DVDM

Source <----> Target swap for internal packer

Post by *DVDM »

I don't create zip-archives very often, but when I do, I always want to create the file in the same directory as the files I want to pack in it.
However, by default it will create it in the Target path, which in this case is often a directory completely unrelated to the files I want to pack.
Up until now, I've always done a quick workaround of some sort:
- create the file in the Target dir, then move it back
- cancel the operation and set make my target dir the same as my source (you may laugh now)

Only just now, did it occur to me to RTM carefully, to discover that by pressing Ctrl when packing the files it goes to the Source directory.
What I mean to say by this, is that for the basic TC user (like me), who generally won't bother to read a bit more into the subject, this behaviour might be regarded as something annoying (and a reason to go back to his/her beloved Windows Explorer).

I would like to see a more obvious way of making this behaviour possible, as part of a tick-box or Target <-> Source switch in the Pack files dialogue, or through a setting in Options to permanently set Source as the preffered option.

Anyone with me on this one?
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Source <----> Target swap for internal packer

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

DVDM wrote:Anyone with me on this one?
Nope :!:
...basic TC user (like me), who generally won't bother to read a bit more into the subject, ...
This is wrong :!:
Someone who uses TC is expected to be skilled and experienced Computer-User and to be able to Read the Manual :D
Hoecker sie sind raus!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@DVDM:
Add this to the [Shortcuts] section of your wincmd.ini:

Code: Select all

CA+F5=cm_PackFiles
CAS+F5=cm_PackFiles
Afterwards you can press Ctrl+Alt+F5 to pack in same directory and Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F5 to move and pack in same directory.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Stitscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stitscher »

DVDM wrote: Anyone with me on this one?
Yes :!:

Another workaround is to delete the target path in dialogbox.

Stitscher
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2DVDM
... or you could use CTRL+Cursor Left/Right to open the source dir in the target panel too before packing. That's the way I got used to over time...

After packing, you can easily go back in the target panel's directory history with ALT+Cursor left.
Clo

One click

Post by *Clo »

2DVDM

:) Hi !

• You can also click the current drive-button in the other panel to get the same folder in the two panels.
-AlwaysToRoot=0 is needed in the INI, though.
- Then, back to the former dir. with the Previous button in the bar…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
KAPA

Post by *KAPA »

DVDM, I totally agree with you. It's disturbing me every time I create a zip-file with TC. I'm aware of the various workarounds for this issue, but it's just annoying.

A checkbox for choosing target or source directory would work perfectly for me. And it should not be a big task to implement that.
DVDM

Post by *DVDM »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, but a workaround isn't my main concern. (pressing Ctrl when packing is an OK solution for me) I'll try them anyway, just to learn something new :)

But I'm looking at it from a beginners point of view (the type that thinks that finding Explorer was the best thing that ever happened to them, the type that wouldn't know what an .ini file is, and wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole if they did :wink: ).

What I'm trying to say is: don't improve TC at the top-end only, try making it a bit more user friendly (without simplicity getting annoying ofcourse for the more skilled users) to make the gap between Explorer and TC a bit smaller, increasing the chances of people actually bridging it :)

Whenever I introduce people to TC I hit a big wall of resistance as it is; people who try using TC on their own will quickly give up because of little things like this.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

The problem is that such a switch would make things things even more complicated than they already are, also for beginners, because these basic principles would be violated then:

1. TC is a dual-pane orthodox file manager which means that it has a source and a target pane. They are called "source" and "target" for a reason!
2. The basic file manager functions are triggered by F5 and F6: copy and move, from source to target! Pack and unpack are executed by pressing the Alt modifier on F5 and F6, source to target too!
3. You need to press an additional modifier to execute "same directory". In case of copy and move, this is Shift and this is the reason why renaming has this unusual shortcut Shift+F6, it's a move in the same directory! In case of packing, the modifier is Ctrl, if you have added the wincmd.ini entry.

I agree that it's not perfect and things could have been made even more consistent in former times, by simply keeping the meaning of Shift also with pack and unpack, this would be the result then:

Alt+F5 packs to target
Alt+Shift+F5 packs to same directory
Alt+Ctrl+F5 packs to target and deletes
Alt+Ctrl+Shift+F5 packs to same directory and deletes

Alt+F6 unpacks to target
Alt+Shift+F6 unpacks to same directory
Alt+Ctrl+F6 creates shortcut in target
Alt+Ctrl+Shift+F6 creates shortcut in same directory

But, people will have arguments against that too, so this is why I am against hardcoded shortcuts. If I was developing a file manager today from scratch, hardcoded shortcuts would be completely out of question. But, "unfortunately" TC has grown, errors have been made, they need to be fixed but it needs time.

I have nothing against your proposal but I am against it nevertheless because I want more: complete freedom of choice! ;)

No more hacks, workarounds, history.txt studies, forum researches, Wiki inspectations and other geek stuff. All shortcuts must be soft and they must be control dependant at wish.

In this case users could create hotkey templates which would also make TC a better experience for Explorer users. But, right now that's not possible because of the hardcoded stuff and some missing commands like cm_PackFilesToSameDirectory for example...

Icfu
This account is for sale