[WISH] postpone user interaction while copying files

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sibbi77

[WISH] postpone user interaction while copying files

Post by *sibbi77 »

While copying/moving a large directory, the user may be asked, if this read only/already existing/whatever file should really be copied/moved.
This question blocks the whole copy/move process.
All of these questions should be collected and asked at the end of the process, or even better be asked immediately, but without blocking the copy operation.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

All of these questions should be collected and asked at the end of the process
Requested 500 times already... Now that TC has a logging feature I hope it will be implemented soon.
or even better be asked immediately, but without blocking the copy operation.
This is what the options box is for. I think that it should just be equipped with the entries you already see in the conflict dialog, so you can already check them before starting the operation.

Icfu
This account is for sale
sibbi77

Post by *sibbi77 »

Requested 500 times already
sorry didn't found it, by searching through suggestions for 7.0
This is what the options box is for
I'm aware of this box, but I don't think this is the right way to do it.
I don't want to waste time, first specifing what to do, but I want the system to carry out my command immediately and only if TC is not able to do what I want it to do, it may ask me.

Thanks for your answer.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

but I want the system to carry out my command immediately and only if TC is not able to do what I want it to do, it may ask me.
It looks like I don't understand your request then. How do you expect TC to know if problems will arise BEFORE it tries to copy a file?

Icfu
This account is for sale
sibbi77

Post by *sibbi77 »

TC doesn't know this, and I don't know either. That's why TC should copy as many files as possible, and after TC has done this time consuming work, it may ask me, what to do with the files (normally a small number), for which problems arose.

In short: TC should respect that I _want_ to have these files copied. If it's not possible for one file, TC should not stop doing the hard work for all others.