[REQ] Verify CRC checksums not just from .SFV files

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Gyla

[REQ] Verify CRC checksums not just from .SFV files

Post by *Gyla »

Hi!

It would be very useful to allow users to choose files with extensions other than .SFV to verify CRC checksums.

I have the following problem for example:

I have written a data DVD, on which I created a file containing CRC checksum (with TC, of course) but unfortunately I managed to remove the file extension, so now it's something like: crc (no extension).
And now I'm unable to check CRC by clicking on this file from TC.

Why use an external program for this?
Why not allow *.* when I want to verify CRC :?:
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The extension is checked to avoid that people select the files for which they want to check the CRC, instread of the CRC file itself.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Gyla

Post by *Gyla »

But it would be very simple :) :

1. I'm sure you can tell if a file is a real SFV or not because TC does not crash/display errors if I create all kinds of dummy SFV files and try to use them for verification. So instead of telling me to select only SFV files, you could examine the contents of the file I have selected (maybe ask first whether I'm sure I want to to this - if the extension is not SFV). And if the file I have selected appears to be a valid SFV (and I answered yes, I'm sure), then you could start processing it.

2. Maybe with a new wincmd.ini config parameter it would be possible to override the default behavior and let me and all other users select any kind of files for verification. Of course a confirmation dialog box could still be used before starting to process a file with not SFV extension.