Custom settiings for custom folders in ini

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Sosna

Custom settiings for custom folders in ini

Post by *Sosna »

Mr. Ghisler, can you add such feature: if there is some local.ini file in folder, and I entered it, to make TC (dependent of some checkbox state) temporary use settings from this folder (same as reread wincmd.ini and apply settings)?
Or (for example) let us create some sections in wincmd.ini for some folders (or drives) to save custom settings for them? - this would be better, for example if I want to hide icons on scratched CD, I can add entry for it, and put some overriding settings (same as for ignoring)
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

This would be better stored in NTFS (NTFS streams - if I'm not mistaken), but of course this is not a viable solution to Mr Ghisler, for well known reasons.

Even M$ does not seem to care about such options, and still use faulty deprecated methods as desktop.ini or the registry.

Anyway... regardless of the implementation method used: Support++
TC for Linux please!
Sosna

Post by *Sosna »

maybe it's useful to store only view settings, such as view mode (brief/full/custom columns), show hidden files or not, show icons or not, etc.
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Many of us have wanted this since... well, forever.

There are many advantages, in addition to the obvious enhancement to daily use of TC, including the ability to easily transport the settings with the folder when moving/copying it to another location/system. Also it would make it easy to keep a folder of different settings files (perhaps in the TC home folder) and apply one of them ad hoc to new folders by simply copying it to the folder.

Some things are so obviously beneficial to nearly all users, you wonder why they haven't been implemented, especially when the implementation is straight forward. TC would need an interface for identifying, loading/saving the settings file (which would overide the TC default INI if present), and a little code to apply the settings when navigating to the folder in TC... but that's it!

Aside from a small performance and disk space deficit, I don't understand why (or if) there is resistance to implementing it. At any rate, it hasn't been implemented.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
Sosna

Post by *Sosna »

roentgen666 - i say so too, there is already reading ini file, we just need to add a function to read it automatically when found it in folder or when this path is found in special file (folder_settings.ini), which would be better to keep folders clean from staff like thumbs.db etc. Why not to add it, and include menu bar in this file - and this will be nice solution to meny requests, such as local button bars, local menus with AHK or PowerPro), local icon showing settings, etc.!
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I normally would like the streams storage idea also, but don't think it is practical in the long run. How would that data be copied with the folder to another storage medium, a pen drive formatted as FAT32, for instance?

Perhaps the settings could be encoded into a special comment that is parsed by TC... that would eliminate the additional INI file.

Still, an INI local to the folder would be the most convenient for most users: small, editable by hand, hideable, goes where the folder goes without specially handling no matter what method one uses to copy or move the folder, and no matter what destination.

But then, I want each folder to have its own thumbnail cache, too, for many of the same reasons...
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

2JohnFredC
I normally would like the streams storage idea also, but don't think it is practical in the long run. How would that data be copied with the folder to another storage medium, a pen drive formatted as FAT32, for instance?
Like NTFS comments currently do: they don't... when copied, but they do inside rar archives.

My personal opinion: I'm sick of descript.ion, desktop.ini, thumbs.db, etc.
But then, I want each folder to have its own thumbnail cache, too
I don't understand this. Do you mean separate thumbnail cache per folder, stored inside the folder? I personally don't use thumbnail database neither in TC nor in explorer, but I think TC updates its database when files are copied to different locations.
TC for Linux please!
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Do you mean separate thumbnail cache per folder, stored inside the folder?
Yes, exactly. As an option per folder, of course.

I'm not holding my breath, though. Even the image browser developers don't want to implement that. :(
Sosna

Post by *Sosna »

people, why should one copy his OWN settings when copying some files? I didn't mean this, I just want to have different settings for some folders, but not to give somebody my own button bar when copying music (for example). But this can be optional. And it's possible to have settings in one file in TC dir, and not in every dir!
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Sosna

Post by *Sosna »

well, as I see, this would not be implemented. pity
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!