On close tab, activate the previously active one

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Bontchev

On close tab, activate the previously active one

Post by *Bontchev »

This has been annoying me in TC6, too.

Suppose that you have 3 tabs in a panel, A, B and C, and tab A is active:

[A] B C

You want to close tab C. So, you switch to it:

A B [C]

Now, when you close it, with the current behavior it will be the tab to the left of it that will become active:

A

Instead, I would like the active tab to become the one that was active before I switched to the tab I closed - i.e.,

[A] B

I saw a similar request (to preserve the z-order of tabs) when switching tabs with Ctrl-Tab. I don't insist very much on that one - but the correct restoration of the previously active tab when a tab is closed is really necessary.

Regards,
Vesselin
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

You want to close tab C. So, you switch to it
Just a note - you don't have to switch to a tab to close it, just middle-click it.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ThurahT

Post by *ThurahT »

I cant find "middle-click" on my keyboard..
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

Hacker pointed out that this feature is already implemented by using the mouse (click with the mousewheel, which operates like middle mouse button).

TC could use a buffer or its internal Tab -Score to return back to the last active tab after deleting another tab with the keyboard.
ThurahT wrote:I cant find "middle-click" on my keyboard..
Please be a little more precise in your postings.
Configuration - Misc - Redefine hotkeys: cm_CloseCurrentTab=3007;Close tab
TOTALCMD.INC is a txt-file in the TC-directory and lists all availlable commands :!:
ThurahT

Post by *ThurahT »

Based on Bontchevs post I figured he uses the keyboard. The middleclick is fine if you use the mouse.. Wether he does or not is irelevant..

I know about the inc-file and I close tabs with crtl+w wich is standard in most apps. But this Bontchev already know. He wants a feature that swaps back to the previous opened tab. Alomost like "AlwaysToRoot=1" for drives..

I second this BTW, Bontchev
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

ThurahT,
I cant find "middle-click" on my keyboard..
Yes, you are right. I was talking about the mouse, as Stance pointed out.
He wants a feature that swaps back to the previous opened tab.
So you want a feature that if you press Ctrl-Tab ten times to get to a tab which you need to close you don't have to press Ctrl-Shift-Tab ten times? I am not sure how TC should remember what was the last opened tab.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ThurahT

Post by *ThurahT »

Hacker wrote: So you want a feature that if you press Ctrl-Tab ten times to get to a tab which you need to close you don't have to press Ctrl-Shift-Tab ten times?
Roman
Nah.. In that case I guess you just crtl+tab once since the tab row rotates..
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Not if you have twenty tabs. ;)
So what case do you have in mind?

Roman
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

What Bontchev requests is the standard behaviour of the Alt+Tab function in windows and it is implemented in MDI programs like Opera.

While I, personally, find it the most natural way of handling multiple tabs, I've also seen many people that complain and don't understand such features.
TC for Linux please!
ThurahT

Post by *ThurahT »

Hey seriously.. I just realized my mind is FUBAR.. And it took a while before it told me. The tabs cycles...!! I am stupid...really.. x O Gah..

But anyhow.. Back to Bontchev. If tab [a] is locked then tcmd could remember that tab..
Total Commander and Gaming. Only reasons left to use Windows.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

roentgen,
roentgen wrote:What Bontchev requests is the standard behaviour of the Alt+Tab function in windows and it is implemented in MDI programs like Opera.
Bontchev wrote:I saw a similar request (to preserve the z-order of tabs) when switching tabs with Ctrl-Tab. I don't insist very much on that one - but the correct restoration of the previously active tab when a tab is closed is really necessary.
Roman
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

TC handles its tabs in a more sophisticated way than "standard behaviour of the Alt+Tab function in windows" or Opera:

History.txt:
07.05.06 Added: Ctrl+Tab to switch dir tabs: Don't switch the tab while holding down Ctrl: Only switch when releasing Ctrl! This way, unwanted tabs can be skipped, e.g. because they point to slow network drives.

Ctrl+Tab moves to the next Foldertab without giving it the focus.

History.txt:
05.11.06 Added: wincmd.ini [Configuration] TabSwitchMode=1 turns on old Ctrl+Tab switch mode: Jump directly to tab, not only when releasing the Ctrl key
TC could use a buffer or its internal Tab -Score to return back to the last active tab after deleting another tab with the keyboard.
TC uses a index for its tabs: cm_SrcActivateTab1
Bontchev

Post by *Bontchev »

Hacker wrote:Just a note - you don't have to switch to a tab to close it, just middle-click it.
That's not good enough. Sometimes I want to switch to tab C - e.g., because I have some work to do there. Once the work is done, I want to close the tab. When the tab is closed, I want to return where I was before switching to it - not to a completely different tab.

Regards,
Vesselin
Bontchev

Post by *Bontchev »

Still not fixed in TC 7.01.

Regards,
Vesselin
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Currently this isn't planned, sorry.