>sync>cantcompare"oldname.txt"and"newna

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

d

>sync>cantcompare"oldname.txt"and"newna

Post by *d »

to make ability to compare
2 files one "goes left" and one "goes right" because of their little name difference.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, d.

You mark two files, e.g. named "aaa" and "bbb", in the left file panel.
You mark two files, e.g. named "ddd" and "eee", in the right file panel.

How should TC know which file in the left file panel to compare to which file in the right panel?

I assume you expect the comparison to work like this:
+ compare "aaa" to "ddd"
+ compare "bbb" to "eee".

But how should TC know if I want to compare the files this way:
+ compare "aaa" to "eee"
+ compare "bbb" to "ddd"?

I often miss the function you request. Yet I have got no good idea how to avoid such ambiguities as described above.

Regards,
Karl
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

It could be done similar to the Compare by Contents: you select two files in SyncDirs window (one from the left side, another from the right side), right-click and choose "Manual matching" or something - and these two files will be listed in one line and compared to each other as if they were same-named.

Of course, TC should check that the user selected exactly 2 files, that the files are unique, etc.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
d

Post by *d »

i mean comparing by content these two files (singles), i did not want to say about comparing four files.
(but it will be also useful if user could select two files that are on different lines & having dublicates.)

this can be made also without "manual matching", i think,
only select two files that are one on left side only and second on right side only and press "compare by content".
Adie

Post by *Adie »

Support!
You already can do it.
- if You sync dir and got compare window open you can change file paths, then click compare...
It would be nice to have convinient way to open compare window with two selected files.
d

Post by *d »

"if You sync dir and got compare window open you can change file paths, then click compare..."
how? how can i change file paths in "sync dirs"? there is not such item in context menu. "ah" i have understood. you maybe mean to change path on the top of window but it does not help..

sync2.png
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

d wrote:how can i change file paths in "sync dirs"? there is not such item in context menu.
You are right, the item in context menu is deactivated.
But Ctrl+F3 is still working, even when there is only one file in the current line. ;-)

What's missing to make it comfortable: Synchronize Dirs: Copy Selected Names to Clipboard
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
d

Post by *d »

StatusQuo wrote: 2008-04-17, 16:17 UTC
d wrote:how can i change file paths in "sync dirs"? there is not such item in context menu.
You are right, the item in context menu is deactivated.
But Ctrl+F3 is still working, even when there is only one file in the current line. ;-)
what does ctrl+f3 do? i am sitting on linux now, and i googled "tc sync ctrl f3" and "total commander synchronize directories help" but have not found.
StatusQuo wrote: 2008-04-17, 16:17 UTC What's missing to make it comfortable: Synchronize Dirs: Copy Selected Names to Clipboard
seems, the linked topic suggestion is only about copying them out. it does not mention yet pasting edited file names back into sync panel.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: >sync>cantcompare"oldname.txt"and"newna

Post by *petermad »

2d
what does ctrl+f3 do?
It compares the content of two files oposite each other in the Syncchonize directories window.

Notice that this is an old thread - there are many more context menu items in the new TC 10.00 (rc2)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar