Away with "row floating of tabs" or stop hide-and-

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

oko

Away with "row floating of tabs" or stop hide-and-

Post by *oko »

If I choose to view tabs on more rows and have e.g. 3 rows of tabs, click on tab from first row changes que of rows, first goes third. This changing of rows is very very confusing and and altough I remember where I can find requested tab, I dont find it there, because is in another row. Just irritating. Can you fix rows, please? I know it is standard Win behaviour but try other system/principle.
I think, there is even more than one solution. E.g. something like buttons - same width and fixed placed, nums of rows as needed (like now) and actual tab would be higlighted. Or tabs not above but in the same place as tree (left) but instead of tree there could be list of opened folders ("sided" tabs)
Clo

Buttons, old buttons…

Post by *Clo »

2oko

:) Hello !
…E.g. something like buttons - same width and fixed placed…
• Ah-ah ! It's something I thought to almost five years ago and that you can see still HERE :wink:

• Indeed, needs to be refreshed, but the principle is good…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
oko

Post by *oko »

to picture link of Clo: need to think of text buttons, not picture buttons !
to Clo: No doubt it is old idea to fix tab floating ;) since multirow tabs have appeared :)

to all and author: Where is one row in window, or couple of rows but in configuration window, where user comes once a month, there floating is acceptable.
But in window, where working with tabs is (almost) main activity, there floating must be confusing and irritating. However I try, always I must wait seconds, while I find the tab. If there is no possibility to fix floating, there must come other principle of place-fixed tabs. Therefore I think change is more than needed.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'm using the standard Windows tab control, mainly to support standards like themes and to ensure that TC tabs work like tabs in all other programs. Unfortunately this tab control does have this mentioned re-ordering "feature", which cannot be turned off. :(
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
oko

Post by *oko »

ok Mr. Ghisler, but where Win ends, TC begins, can not be ? :) Therefore I have suggested other alternative solutions for tabs. Two of them I have prepared as images:

1. http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8219/groupsplusfixedtabsrz6.jpg
(at picture there is also solution for managing of groups of tabs, but it is other theme discussed here http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=17336)

2. http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4063/sidedtabsco0.jpg
aoouch

Re:

Post by *aoouch »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2008-04-07, 16:14 UTC I'm using the standard Windows tab control, mainly to support standards like themes and to ensure that TC tabs work like tabs in all other programs. Unfortunately this tab control does have this mentioned re-ordering "feature", which cannot be turned off. :(
You may use multi tab controls to resolve this issue. I mean creating standalone control for each tab row, dynamically. Then options could provided to keeping orders of tab rows.
I know this redesign will bring lots of coding works, but it important. Tab row issue confusing some users for years, really hope to see this feature in the next major release. Btw, wish you are safe during the pandemic. :)
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Away with "row floating of tabs" or stop hide-and-

Post by *Horst.Epp »

I simply use one (long) raw of tabs and the TwinKey plugin tab list feature
to select the tab from the pop-up vertical list.
This way most of the time there is no need for scrolling.
Also this list can optionally be sorted.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
aoouch

Post by *aoouch »

so?
aoouch

Post by *aoouch »

so?