Auto append CRC checksum in the file name

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DarkRuleR

Auto append CRC checksum in the file name

Post by *DarkRuleR »

Hi!

Code: Select all

30.03.10 Added: CRC check: Support CRC checksums directly in the file names, in the form filename[1234ABCD].ext
Another example of the little jewels found in the new version.
:)

It would be great if there was an extra option in "Create CRC-checksum file" that would auto append the CRC checksum to the file.
What do you think???

Greetz,

DR...
#106383 Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Support ++
File should be renamed by appending CRC checksum of current selected mode.

But this will work only if all modes (SFV, MD5, SHA1) are supported by CRC check function.

Up to now just CRC32 is supported :(
#5767 Personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I didn't add this so far because I fear that people breakt their programs by changing the names, so the files are no longer found. Therefore external checksum files should be used whenever possible. Also I have never seen files with MD5 or even SHA1 checksums in the name - the name would be extremely long...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Clo

As comment ?

Post by *Clo »

2ghisler(Author)

:) Good evening,

• Maybe the option could add the CRC as a (descript.ion) comment (info-text) ? Doing so, on one hand, the user could see the CRC and,
on the other hand, the names themselves would remain unchanged, no matter which lenght the CRC is…
- Just a thought.

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
DarkRuleR

Post by *DarkRuleR »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I didn't add this so far because I fear that people breakt their programs by changing the names, so the files are no longer found. Therefore external checksum files should be used whenever possible. Also I have never seen files with MD5 or even SHA1 checksums in the name - the name would be extremely long...
A "Calculate CRC Checksum and copy to clipboard" option could solve this?
(and please also add the two brackets)

Greetz,

DR...
#106383 Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
bfu

Post by *bfu »

Support++ for some secure form of the feature (CRC only).

Nowadays I use some command-line utilities that generate CRC and copy it to clipboard - than I do manual file rename.

(My button bar item: cmd /c "hoc.exe -crc32 %S |replacestr.exe ":" "" |winclip -c -w" :D
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Re: As comment ?

Post by *fenix_productions »

Support for an idea but proper way is the problem.

2Clo
Clo wrote:• Maybe the option could add the CRC as a (descript.ion) comment (info-text) ?
This solution would be nice but comments do not support Unicode file names.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Shosho

Re: Auto append CRC checksum in the file name

Post by *Shosho »

Another possibility to include CRC32 (or any other checksum) in filename is to have LotsOfHashes content plugin installed and to use the following pattern in multi-rename tool

Code: Select all

[N][[=lotsofhashes.CRC32.Uppercase]]
Rekrul

Re: Auto append CRC checksum in the file name

Post by *Rekrul »

How about adding a CRC parameter to the Multi-Rename function? For example [SFV].

This could be handled in two ways;

1. The CRC is calculated for each file as it goes. Maybe it displays a warning the first time that the process can take a long time if there are large selected with a checkbox not to show the message again.

2. If an SFV file exists with the name of the current working directory, TC would look inside that file to find the CRC values. Or maybe it could allow the user to select the SFV file, similar to how "Load names from file" works.

The two methods could optionally be combined; TC could look inside an SFV file if it exists, rename whatever files it finds listed inside and generate CRCs for the rest on the fly.

By separating the creation of SFV files from renaming the files, it would prevent people from accidentally renaming important files and screwing something up. They would have to intentionally tell the program to rename then files to add the CRC value to the name.