In which language is TC written??

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

nmeyer,

Interface part is cross-platformed, but TC uses some Windows-specific functions that won't work under e.g. Linux. Only Mr. Ghisler knows how many such calls in TC.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately there are a lot of such calls. First I will have to make it work fine in 64-bit, then I can think about replacing all these functions.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

then I can think about replacing all these functions
That sounds almost like a promise for a Linux version ;)
TC for Linux please!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I cannot promise that yet - it really depends on the amount of changes needed. I'm still fighting with 64-bit Lazarus right now...
nmeyer

Post by *nmeyer »

Thanks for the information :)
khagaroth

Post by *khagaroth »

The -Xg option should create separate debug files.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you, that's just perfect! I was using the official release, and it didn't offer this, but the daily snapshot does! The size is now 7 MB for the 64-bit version, although I'm using smart linking, so it's about the double of the Delphi version.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Sorry, I cannot promise that yet - it really depends on the amount of changes needed. I'm still fighting with 64-bit Lazarus right now...
I'm very glad that you consider doing so.
TC on Wine works, but it's so terribly limited... I don't think it's worth using, even though there's nothing even close to TC available for Linux.
drac

Post by *drac »

m^2 wrote:TC on Wine works, but it's so terribly limited... I don't think it's worth using, even though there's nothing even close to TC available for Linux.
TC for Linux would be awesome. Everytime I have to use Linux I use midnight commander, but it doesn't compare with TC.

There are success stories of Windows applications ported to Linux, one example that comes to mind is UltraEdit

Developing TC for a different platform would take allot of time, especially when the software was not designed to be cross platform in the first place.

Here is a small list of things which should be taken into consideration:
  • * Deployment: on Windows you have an installer, on Linux you have deb packages for Ubuntu/Debian, rpm packages for Suse, Fedora/Redhat

* File associations: on Windows you have the registry, on Linux you have gconf for Gnome, ?? for KDE. Then it comes to the icons displayed for folders and file types...

* File system: you need to take care of the differences when it comes to file system. On Windows you have the hidden attribute for hidden files, on Linux you have the files which start with dot as hidden files.

On Windows the sharing and security part is done by the system, on Linux TC should take care about user/group/all read/write/execute attributes.

On Linux you don't have drive letters anymore, only entries in /etc/fstab,
    etc.

* Networking: TC should be able to browse Samba shares, Linux shares, which I guess differs from Windows counterpart.

* Know how: Mr. Christian Ghisler has to learn about all the system details which Total Commander needs from Linux, which cannot be done overnight.

* Testing: there are so many Linux distributions out there, which ones and how may versions should TC be tested on? Top 5 from Distrowatch?
All the above are also valid for Mac :)
VSB

Post by *VSB »

I'm afraid, that porting from windows API may cause some functions to poor features (i mean Windows unicode, long path and so on)
cubic

Re: In which language is TC written??

Post by *cubic »

"TC for Linux would be awesome"

Yes. Would be. But Linux guys will never pay for software. From TC's point of view, it would be wasted development time (no return in revenue).