custom views - remove file name and ext columns

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

adom_sapek

custom views - remove file name and ext columns

Post by *adom_sapek »

First: hello to everyone since I'm new here and that's my first post:)

My question is why these 2 columns are permanent in custom view - sometimes I realy do not need them.

Would be possible to add such an option in the future?
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Re: custom views - remove file name and ext columns

Post by *ts4242 »

Welcome and hello!
adom_sapek wrote:sometimes I realy do not need them.
In this case how would you work safely with files?

In Explorer you can show/hide any column except "Name" column.
adom_sapek

Post by *adom_sapek »

What I mean is that they are not needed when I am for example browsing throu folder with mp3 files where all "needed" columns like "tiitle", "performer".. are arleady displayed.

Program like foobar2000 doesn't need any columns but one (because you must select a file somehow - so it can be metadata "track number" and it will work:)
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

adom_sapek wrote:What I mean is that they are not needed when I am for example browsing throu folder with mp3 files where all "needed" columns like "tiitle", "performer".. are arleady displayed.
This is about MP3 files but how will you work with the folders contains these files?

IMHO: name column must be present in any file manager program.
adom_sapek

Post by *adom_sapek »

ts4242 wrote: This is about MP3 files but how will you work with the folders contains these files?
I was thinking that TC could keep a track of what is inside the lister (and didn't need ANY columns for that - these columns are only for us to see what's inside and to perform some actions).

If that's true than TC can show any column since it knows what file is "behind" that column and it doesn't have to be "name" and "ext".
You can still select a file and perform some operations on it.

Of course when you change folder (with other kinds of files) then most likely you'll see nothing :) - but then just change "view" to default or othert "custom one".
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

Support++ !
ts4242 wrote: This is about MP3 files but how will you work with the folders contains these files?
This is up to the user to handle blank column !
Using SuperWDX you can have on a single column information specific for each type of file you want. So you get Folder name for folder, title for tagged files, .....
ts4242 wrote:IMHO: name column must be present in any file manager program.
So for your usage keep it always ! But if you do not care about those columns in custom view for now, it is not possible to fully hide those and even the position is fixed !