Ability to hide any column in cutom column definition...

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Ability to hide any column in cutom column definition...

Post by *nsp »

Please can you provide a way to define a column set and enable/disable some dynamically. (Specially Name and Ext that I'm forced to have but do not care !)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You can just make them very narrow...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

ghisler(Author) wrote:You can just make them very narrow...
This is what i call a workaround !
This is what i do but the column separators are still visible and it is ugly. So not hidden at all !
For name and ext, i even cannot move them to the end :(
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Ability to hide any column in cutom column definition...

Post by *DrShark »

nsp wrote: 2016-06-09, 09:36 UTCFor name and ext, i even cannot move them to the end :(
It was suggested so many times to allow user to turn off Name and/or Ext default columns for custom column views (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,) but since it's not planned (I remeber here on a forum there was a remark from Christian Ghisler that users must be able to see filenames in TC because it is a file manager and not a multimedia player,) so I support the suggestion to make it possible at least to move them, so it would be possible to focus on content for which custom view has been created. Maybe it's worth then to make it possible to use icons and icon-sized thumbnails as a custom column content, so user could use them instead of Name and Ext as a first column(s.)
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Ability to hide any column in cutom column definition...

Post by *DrShark »

For hiding the content of certain columns in custom columns view, I suggest to introduce a command [=tc.rem] which wil look and work like a plugin field and, if written as a first one Field contents, will tell TC to hide the values of everything after it. For example, if we configure some column this way:

Code: Select all

[=tc.rem][=REALwdxPLUGIN1.field1][=REALwdxPLUGIN2.field2][=REALwdxPLUGIN3.field3]
TC will just show empty value in its cells, while TC will still get and show the values from plugins for all other custom columns.

So to hide the values (and preventing TC even getting them) for some column in current colum view, user wil just have to call a Tabstop header context menu->Confugure this custom column view..., and there to put [=tc.rem] in the front of Field contents of desired column.

Maybe such [=tc.rem] could have an own closing pair, like [=tc.rem/], which could be useful to temporary hide only a certain plugin's field of the column or tooltip, e.g. hiding the value of [=REALwdxPLUGIN2.field2]:

Code: Select all

[=REALwdxPLUGIN1.field1][=tc.rem][=REALwdxPLUGIN2.field2][=tc.rem/][=REALwdxPLUGIN3.field3]
A single [=tc.rem] or [=tc.rem/] will just return empty value.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708