Separate QV for small screens, Always on top for Lister

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Separate QV for small screens, Always on top for Lister

Post by *DrShark »

Currently with Ctrl+Shift+Q TC launches Separate Quick View window in background near TC window. This feature is fine for large/highdpi screens, but completely useless on small/lowdpi screens where TC window iteslf takes all screen space.

By email I requested "Always on top" feature for Lister as an part of idea to adapt "Separate Quick View" (Ctrl+Shift+Q) for small screens (so separate QV/Lister window would be on top of TC while user could switch the files in TC panels.)

Christian said he doesn't really see advantages of this possible feature for small screens over currently implemented feature: opening Lister with Shift+F3 and navigation between files using N and P keys in that Lister window.

So I'm posting this suggestion here to let other users say whether my idea worth implementation.

BTW it's possible to vote for Always on top Lister feature suggestion here:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=878
even if you'd just like too see this feature in Lister but don't like or care of Separate Quick View improvements.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Separate QV for small screens, Always on top for Lister

Post by *DrShark »

This topic may be merged with the one created earlier: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=46502
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2016-11-21, 10:53 UTCCtrl+Shift+Q is meant for people with 2 screens or wide screens
Always on Top feature would make it useful also for people with 1 small screen. Many other viewers and editors, including IrfanView which may be used by Lister, have built-in Always on top feature, so why not add it to Lister called by Ctrl+Shift+Q?
Dalai wrote: 2016-11-21, 18:52 UTCI don't really see the advantage of positioning the separate QuickView window on top of TC when the simple (integrated) QuickView already does the job. Such thoughts would've crossed my mind when I would have had to implement it, maybe Ghisler had similar ones.
For example, you could open some picture with Ctrl+Shift+Q, place it somewhere over TC main menu and toolbars, and browse opposite panel with regular QuickView opened to compare pictures from it with one opened before via Ctrl+Shift+Q.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

DrShark wrote: 2019-11-16, 08:23 UTCFor example, you could open some picture with Ctrl+Shift+Q, place it somewhere over TC main menu and toolbars, and browse opposite panel with regular QuickView opened to compare pictures from it with one opened before via Ctrl+Shift+Q.
But where's the advantage to use Separate QuickView over the already existing Lister? They're both separate windows. I don't get it.

And, as I said: Until Ghisler decides to add such feature, you can use a 3rd-party tool. I even wrote my own script which toggles the on-top attribute of the currently active window with a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+Space); this works with any window of any application (which doesn't have such feature on its own). If anyone is interested in the script, just let me know.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

Dalai wrote: 2019-11-16, 14:56 UTCBut where's the advantage to use Separate QuickView over the already existing Lister? They're both separate windows. I don't get it.
In theory it has advantages: Lister can switch many files only if they are selected in a list (to enable such navigation between selected files, Lister must be opened with Shift+F3) with N and P keys (if plugins won't catch them). Also, in some cases it may be advantage to have different saved windows positions for Lister and Separate QuickView.

Unfortunately, currently Separate QuickView is panel-independent, which means it follows the file under cursor even after changing a panel. The same time, it is not independent from regular QuickView: both are closed by Ctrl+Q. Both factors mean there is no way to use the independent QuickView and Separate QuickView windows for different files. It would be possible if Separate Quick View could open independent Separate QuickView window for each panel, and such windows would be closed only with Ctrl+Shift+Q, while Ctrl+Q would only open and close reqular QuickView.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I support this request. Separate Quick view is unusable on small single screens as it is now.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Separate quick view was added especially for people with 2 screens (or a very wide screen like cinema display). Users with normal screens should use normal Ctrl+Q.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-11-18, 14:52 UTC Separate quick view was added especially for people with 2 screens (or a very wide screen like cinema display). Users with normal screens should use normal Ctrl+Q.
Yes, you made it for 2 screens or 1 big screen, but you can enhance it so it will be useful on 1 small screen. Separate QuickView has some differences compared to Lister (opened either using F3 or Shift+F3) and regular QuickView, so it's not really fair to consider and suggest them as full alternatives to Separate QuickView for 1 small screen.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

Dalai wrote: 2019-11-16, 14:56 UTCUntil Ghisler decides to add such feature, you can use a 3rd-party tool. I even wrote my own script which toggles the on-top attribute of the currently active window with a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+Space); this works with any window of any application (which doesn't have such feature on its own). If anyone is interested in the script, just let me know.
There is an "Always On Top" tool (compiled AHK script) which changes on-top window state with Ctrl+Space. But the advantage of Total Commander's own feature for making its windows on top would be a possibility to use it in environments where it's not possible to use other 3rd party software.
jinsight

Post by *jinsight »

Support++
License #1945
Windows 10 Pro x64
Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3930)
TC 11.00 x64 and x86, Everything 1.5.0.1366a x64, QAP 11.6.3.1 x64
LonerD

Post by *LonerD »

Support and bump for v11.
Simple option "Always on top" for any Lister window (not only QV).
"I used to feel guilty in Cambridge that I spent all day playing games, while I was supposed to be doing mathematics. Then, when I discovered surreal numbers, I realized that playing games IS math." John Horton Conway