Please add HardLink/Junction/SymLink support to Copy window

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

b1Ack

Please add HardLink/Junction/SymLink support to Copy window

Post by *b1Ack »

Can you please add haddlinking support to native Copy dialog of TotalCommander?

Example how it may be looking
Image: https://i.imgur.com/Xax5qIX.png

Maybe it will be better to use three comboboxes instear to save space and make that fit on too small screens.

Red warning triangle sign "H" - is expected to show it even if options is minimized, but there was set something that not match default behavior. Just to not be confused with external USB NTFS storage used in multiple places.

And there is no selection what type of folder symlink is expected for cases of network use - just because it's not common case, usually all hardlinking is used locally.

What to do if target FS like FAT32 not support links?
Just show warning [maybe option to enable/disable it in ini] and default action after - continue normal copy as usual.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Well, it would be nice to have native support for junctions and hard links in TC. But I already know what Ghisler is going to say about this topic: as long as there are helper utilities he most probably won't implement it. There are NTLinks Maker, NTFS Links, NTLinks and NL_info, the latter two are WDX plugins. So if you have the need to create NTFS links or show information about them, you can already do that. There are also some settings in TC itself to ignore or copy NTFS links: IgnoreLinks, CopyLinks and SyncIgnoreJunctions; see TC help section 4.b for more info about them.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
b1Ack

Post by *b1Ack »

Why not add simple GUI way to manage things that exists over 10 years and directly related to managing files in file manager program ? OOPS! There are console utilities for that. What a surprise.

But see no good way to make, for example, that thing: compilation of installation files and help files for external drive from big local collection of that. Not a good way - make at least 3-5 buttons for different console commands and remember in what order use that instead of simple integrated window.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I don't think that TC really needs internal tool for creating new reparse points, but I really think that TC really needs an option to control copying/moving of existing reparse points in copy/move dialog, not in INI...
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

MVV wrote:[...] but I really think that TC really needs an option to control copying/moving of existing reparse points in copy/move dialog, not in INI...
That's indeed more important. Question remains: How to convince Ghisler?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I don't think that TC really needs internal tool for creating new reparse points, but I really think that TC really needs an option to control copying/moving of existing reparse points in copy/move dialog, not in INI...
I agree.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
j7n

Re: Please add HardLink/Junction/SymLink support to Copy window

Post by *j7n »

I've been using Sysinternals Junction occasionally, and found it useful for collecting directories residing on separate volumes.

I would like to see this function implemented in TC, allowing to create a link with drag & drop instead of typing path names on a text line. Management of links is within the scope of a file manager. Is there another small, portable file manager that can do it within its GUI?
#148174 Personal license
Running Total Commander v8.52a
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

j7n,
allowing to create a link with drag & drop
You could use Link Shell Extension and then copy by holding Shift and the right mouse button. Upon releasing the right mouse button (drop) this presents a menu where you can select to create any kind of supported link.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
j7n

Post by *j7n »

Link Shell Extension works well. If I use this, along with Explorer delete method, Explorer copy, Explorer thumbnails, Everything search, then I might as well use Explorer.

This is not a plug-in function. In a standard Windows NT 6 there are many links over which we cannot get "total" control.

I found a rival file manager written in Visual Basic that can Copy and Paste Special file and directory links the same way as Pick Link Source / Drop works with this shell extension.
#148174 Personal license
Running Total Commander v8.52a