Info about Junction Points

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

grubi

Info about Junction Points

Post by *grubi »

I know that implementing full junction point support into TC is not wanted due to possible misunderstandings and the serious consequences this can have esp. for novice users. But how about implementing at least displaying information about such into TC. This would have no negative side effects.

It could be done by a tooltip which is displayed when hovering over a JP with the mouse, or by pressing F3 while you have selected a JP entry.

For admins this is a really important information gap one could only fill when switching back and force between TC and command line which is quite annoying.

I'm interested in what you think.

Regards
grubi.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Well, as I explained in a similar thread, it would be nice to have, but OTOH there are already plugins that can show/edit and tools to create symlinks/junctions, namely NTFS Links, NTLinks, NL_info and NTLinksMaker. In conjunction with a custom columns view and a button/TC start menu respectively, there's not much left that TC could do better, apart from working out of the box without plugins.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
grubi

Post by *grubi »

Dalai wrote:Well, as I explained in a similar thread, it would be nice to have, but OTOH there are already plugins that can show/edit and tools to create symlinks/junctions, namely NTFS Links, NTLinks, NL_info and NTLinksMaker. In conjunction with a custom columns view and a button/TC start menu respectively, there's not much left that TC could do better, apart from working out of the box without plugins.

Regards
Dalai
I think there is still one point which TC could do much better than the plugins I tested so far. Don't waste the valuable space for a column to display this information which is very important IMHO but only valuable for a very small fraction of the entries which are displayed altogether.

JM2C
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

grubi wrote:I think there is still one point which TC could do much better than the plugins I tested so far. Don't waste the valuable space for a column to display this information which is very important IMHO but only valuable for a very small fraction of the entries which are displayed altogether.
Even that is not a problem. Content plugins can be used in tooltips as well. See Configuration > Options > Display > [X] Win32-style tips with file comments (if available) > User-defined.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
grubi

Post by *grubi »

Dalai wrote:Even that is not a problem. Content plugins can be used in tooltips as well. See Configuration > Options > Display > [X] Win32-style tips with file comments (if available) > User-defined.
I wasn't aware that this is even possible.

After fiddling around with the different attributes I got it to work as desired.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Phred

Re:

Post by *Phred »

Dalai wrote: 2018-07-19, 20:44 UTC
grubi wrote:I think there is still one point which TC could do much better than the plugins I tested so far. Don't waste the valuable space for a column to display this information which is very important IMHO but only valuable for a very small fraction of the entries which are displayed altogether.
Even that is not a problem. Content plugins can be used in tooltips as well. See Configuration > Options > Display > [X] Win32-style tips with file comments (if available) > User-defined.

Regards
Dalai
What is it that a 'Win32' tip would do, Dalai?
I can see that we could define directories/folders and have a folder tip that says all folders are folders on hover-over (and we would have to set that up manually) but what of junction points, symbolic links ..that class of thing? And have it extract and show information automatically.

Are you pointing us to an add-in(s)? A hover-over tip that shows that a folder is a junction point, for instance?
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Re:

Post by *Dalai »

Phred wrote: 2019-02-23, 17:15 UTCWhat is it that a 'Win32' tip would do, Dalai?
Well, ignore the "Win32" part and you know what it does: it displays a tooltip, optionally with user-defined contents.
Are you pointing us to an add-in(s)? A hover-over tip that shows that a folder is a junction point, for instance?
I already did in my first response of this thread. You can find all of the mentioned plugins/addons on totalcmd.net.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Re:

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Phred wrote: 2019-02-23, 17:15 UTC
Dalai wrote: 2018-07-19, 20:44 UTC

Regards
Dalai
What is it that a 'Win32' tip would do, Dalai?
I can see that we could define directories/folders and have a folder tip that says all folders are folders on hover-over (and we would have to set that up manually) but what of junction points, symbolic links ..that class of thing? And have it extract and show information automatically.

The NL_Info plugin has the right info for this purpose.
My definition for the User-defined tips is
[=nl_info.Reparse Point Type] => [=nl_info.Reparse Point Target]
As File type of course a selection with the Dir attribute set.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64