"cm_CopySrcPathToClip" ending with backslash

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Freodon

"cm_CopySrcPathToClip" ending with backslash

Post by *Freodon »

I frequently use TC to navigate to a directory and then use the "cm_CopySrcPathToClip" command to copy a path to clipboard, then paste it in another application to choose a directory within that app (so that I don't have to deal with Windows's default file/folder open/save dialog). The problem is, the "cm_CopySrcPathToClip" command copies the path without a backslash at the end (for example: "d:\dir1\dir2" instead of "d:\dir1\dir2\"). This is problematic because some apps assume I mean an extension-less file instead of a directory, while ending backslash clearly indicates a directory.

This behavior also surprised me because if you manually select current path on the breadcrumb bar, it's ready to copy with the backslash at the end.

Such change to this command's behavior would not cause any problems while serving as a precaution to ensure compatibility of copied path. Please consider my suggestion.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: "cm_CopySrcPathToClip" ending with backslash

Post by *Horst.Epp »

There is a much better solution for this.
Use an application which allows the Open/Save dialogs of programs to follow the actual TC dir.
There are 2 of it I know and use frequently:
Quick Access PopUp
https://www.quickaccesspopup.com/
and
Listary
https://www.listary.com/
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Freodon

Post by *Freodon »

2Horst.Epp
Why would I want to install additional software for such a simple task if I can just copy current path to clipboard with a keyboard shortcut natively? And does QAP support pasting TC's currently selected file instead of a directory? Because if it doesn't, then I would still need to manually execute another command in TC: "cm_CopyFullNamesToClip".
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Freodon wrote: 2018-09-30, 10:52 UTC 2Horst.Epp
Why would I want to install additional software for such a simple task if I can just copy current path to clipboard with a keyboard shortcut natively? And does QAP support pasting TC's currently selected file instead of a directory? Because if it doesn't, then I would still need to manually execute another command in TC: "cm_CopyFullNamesToClip".
I install QAP and Listary for other purposes and this functions are just part of it.
Why should I copy things to the clipboard and paste them if I can just change the dir in TC
and the Open/Save dialog of the other tool automatically changes with it.
I only need the dir change in the Open/Save dialogs,
selecting a file name in it is supportd by any application itself.
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Freodon

Post by *Freodon »

So is it too much to ask to add that measly "\" for less-power-users like me?
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Freodon wrote: 2018-09-30, 13:07 UTC So is it too much to ask to add that measly "\" for less-power-users like me?
No, but you can search the forum for other answers of user ghisler(Author).
After that many year of use such things are likely not gonna to be changed :wink:

But you have make a valid suggestion, let's see what happens....at least to add a INI switch should be possible for that who want a trailing backslash.

If you put the AutoHotkey.exe into your TC folder you can do such things right now without waiting of implementation.

solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2018-09-29, 16:16 UTC There is a much better solution for this.
Use an application which allows the Open/Save dialogs of programs to follow the actual TC dir.
There are 2 of it I know and use frequently:
Quick Access PopUp
https://www.quickaccesspopup.com/
and
Listary
https://www.listary.com/
I will ad Flashfolder to the list. It doesn't uses clipboard but can change the directory in the open/save/browseforfolder to the directory in the active or target panel. Also has support for TC's directory menu (favourites) so this directories can also be chosen in the windows dialog box.
Just make sure to get Tim De Baets's beta version of Flashfolder, which has support for win 7/8/10.
Freodon

Post by *Freodon »

2solid
FlashFolder doesn't work at all for me, it doesn't change anything within open/save dialogs even with TC integration enabled.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2Freodon
I've been using FlashFolder (1.11 r274 beta) on my Win7 x64 for several years now, and it works fine. One important thing to know is that on Windows x64 FlashFolder only works in conjunction with TC x64 because it reads the location of wincmd.ini from HKLM\Software\Ghisler but not HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Ghisler as well.

Activating TC integration in FlashFolder only adds TC's directory hotlist to the blue star button and adds currently open folders to the folder button.

HTH

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

Freodon wrote: 2018-10-03, 09:49 UTC 2solid
FlashFolder doesn't work at all for me, it doesn't change anything within open/save dialogs even with TC integration enabled.
Are you sure that you are using the latest version?
You can download it from here https://sourceforge.net/p/flashfolder/discussion/690366/thread/3b25764f/?page=3&limit=25#f74f
Dalai wrote: 2018-10-03, 12:30 UTC 2Freodon
I've been using FlashFolder (1.11 r274 beta) on my Win7 x64 for several years now, and it works fine. One important thing to know is that on Windows x64 FlashFolder only works in conjunction with TC x64 because it reads the location of wincmd.ini from HKLM\Software\Ghisler but not HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Ghisler as well.

Activating TC integration in FlashFolder only adds TC's directory hotlist to the blue star button and adds currently open folders to the folder button.
I'm using FlashFolder on several 64bit win installations both win 7 and win 10 and I'm using the 32bit version of TC. I haven't any issue with connecting to TC. Anyway, registry entries to HKLM\Software\Ghisler pointing the TC dir can be added manually.

The only issue is that entries with environmental variables are not recognized.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

[OT]
solid wrote: 2018-10-08, 12:50 UTCI'm using FlashFolder on several 64bit win installations both win 7 and win 10 and I'm using the 32bit version of TC. I haven't any issue with connecting to TC. Anyway, registry entries to HKLM\Software\Ghisler pointing the TC dir can be added manually.
Yes, it can be added manually, or rather it must be added manually because FlashFolder doesn't recognize TC 32 bit on Windows x64 by itself. Furthermore, there's another catch: One can't have TC 32 bit and 64 bit in two different directories (e.g. %ProgramFiles% and %ProgramFiles(x86)% respectively) with separate wincmd.ini files, and have FlashFolder use wincmd.ini of TC x64. If one adds the location of TC 32 bit to HKLM\Software\Ghisler so FlashFolder (x64) can use it, TC 64 bit will use the same wincmd.ini instead of the one specified in HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Ghisler.

Yes, sure, this could be "solved" by adding command line switches to TC x64, but that's far from ideal and shouldn't be necessary. What I ended up doing was to copy the directory hotlist from TC 32 bit to TC 64 bit once.

Anyway, I'm quite happy with FlashFolder on my system(s).

[/OT]

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Python

Re: "cm_CopySrcPathToClip" ending with backslash (possible solution)

Post by *Python »

I have the same issue. The Paste TC's active path anywhere solves this (I use AutoHotkey very active, so I simply add this script into hundreds of already working scripts), but I think, I should support the author of the original post.
Stefan2 wrote: 2018-09-30, 13:34 UTC After that many year of use such things are likely not gonna to be changed :wink:
So, I don't see problem at all. Add a trailing backslash in a command cm_CopySrcPathWithBSToClip (new command) and stay as is in command cm_CopySrcPathToClip.
Another solution (much more difficult and ricky) is to implant into Total Commander something like Pascal Script (or other type of ready-to-use scripting engines). When I wrote my own program (not file manager :-)) I simply add Pascal Script for user to automate many processes. Everyone in such case will be able to add new commands, like cm_CopySrcPathWithBSToClip or even something like cm_CopySrcPathAllLettersUppercasedToClip.
Freodon

Post by *Freodon »

So I started using Quick Access Popup pand it works well... most of the time. Sometimes in tree view it won't let me auto-navigate and paste the path while manually entering the path would actually solve current task. So for such exceptions I still need the TC command...
Or maybe there is a way to just paste current path (without navigating) in QAP?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Freodon wrote: 2018-10-15, 19:53 UTC So I started using Quick Access Popup pand it works well... most of the time. Sometimes in tree view it won't let me auto-navigate and paste the path while manually entering the path would actually solve current task. So for such exceptions I still need the TC command...
Or maybe there is a way to just paste current path (without navigating) in QAP?
The default QAP hotkey for this is Shift-Ctrl-C
which can be configured by adding the QAP feature "Reopen Current Folder in Dialogbox"
to your favorites.
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64