Comments: simultaneous work with descript.ion & files.bbs

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Comments: simultaneous work with descript.ion & files.bbs

Post by *DrShark »

I usually store 3 type of content in comments:
1) some description of a file;
2) list of keywords (tags) for a file;
3) a link from which file was downloaded, or link/links related to a file.

I find it inconvenient to mix that types of comments in 1 comment, as allowed by current Total Commander "File comment" comments editor (Ctrl+Z).

Total Commander supports 2 type of comments, but unfortunately can work only with one selected by user.
My suggestion is to add in editor a way to edit both type of comments (simultaneously by adding a second text box to editor, or by adding some a way to switch between comment type in it.)

This will allow to store above comment content types separated,
e.g. keywords as a 1st line with following links as next lines in one comment format, and the description in other.

To make it easy to view and search for each type of comment content, I suggest to add support for descript.ion comment and files.bbs comment, as well as lines in that comments, as fields for built-in Total Commander content plugin.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Comments: simultaneous work with descript.ion & files.bbs

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC will use the one it finds in a directory. If there is none, or both, it will use the preferred type.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-02-27, 13:52 UTC TC will use the one it finds in a directory. If there is none, or both, it will use the preferred type.
Yes, that's how TC works now. My suggestion is to add an option to work with both type of comments, so both types will be copied (instead of conversion to preferred type), Ctrl+Z "File comment" window will be have 2 textboxes (each for respective comments type) and internal content plugin in addition to show/edit preferred comment type (with [=tc.comment]) could also show/edit specific descript.ion or files.bbs comments (with f.ex. [=tc.comment.description] and [=tc.comment.filesbbs])

Another part of my suggestion - to show/edit lines of comments, f. ex. like it was suggested here before, and in addition to preferred comment type to do it also directly for descript.ion and files.bbs.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

My suggestion is to add an option to work with both type of comments, so both types will be copied
I see. But what should happen if the source directory only has descript.ion and the target has files.bbs, or vice versa?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-03-06, 09:40 UTC
My suggestion is to add an option to work with both type of comments, so both types will be copied
I see. But what should happen if the source directory only has descript.ion and the target has files.bbs, or vice versa?
Obviously in that case the best solution is to leave targert comment files as is, and to copy source comment file, so the new target file will have 2 comment files. I guess for that case you can introduce options to just remove target comment file or try to merge them with either into source comment format or to descript.ion (to save Unicode comment content.)