Allow to resume file transfer after drive reconnection

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bzemer

Allow to resume file transfer after drive reconnection

Post by *bzemer »

Hi,
I have a hard drive that tends to disconnect and reconnect sometimes on its own when I transfer a large amount of data.
It will be great if TC will allow resuming file transfer after connection loses, and even better - automatic resuming, if possible, for when I'm not around to confirm.

I attached a screen grab of the dialogue box I get (this is with background/ queue transfer).

[img]https://bzemer <DOT> tinytake <DOT> com/sf/MzM3NDg3N18xMDA5Mjk0MQ[/img]

[mod]
URL deactivated because of possible malware, because I got this warning below:

Die Website, die Sie aufrufen möchten, enthält schädliche Programme
Hacker könnten auf bzemer.tinytake.com versuchen, Sie zur Installation von Programmen zu bewegen, die sich nachteilig auf Ihre Browsernutzung auswirken. Dabei kann zum Beispiel Ihre Startseite geändert werden oder es erscheint zusätzliche Werbung auf von Ihnen besuchten Websites.Weitere Informationen
[/mod]

Sektor

Re: Allow to resume file transfer after drive reconnection

Post by *Sektor »

As far as I know, CopyFileEx has resume feature (COPY_FILE_RESTARTABLE of dwFlags parameter), but I tried it long time ago, and it didn't work. I don't know why (may be I did something wrong), but I guess you need to dig in that direction.
License #299429
There is no knowledge that is not power
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2bzemer
Have you tried to copy files with Background Transfer Manager (F5+F2)? You can set max transfer speed there. If you lower the speed, the HDD probably won't (overheat and) disconnect.
You should also check physical HDD connection and Power Saving options in Windows…
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

COPY_FILE_RESTARTABLE didn't work for me either...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
nateliv

Post by *nateliv »

For example, my situation.
I have ftp-severs with adresses like ftp1.***.***, ftp2.***.***, ftp3.***.***, etc., and in diffrent time some of them are available and some - not (Such a situation is normal with file-sharing hostings that I use for my file-backups, they're just optimising sever's overloads). So, when I upload there some archives (in background only!) I can leave a tab with ftp's root open (or even leave a TC's window as it is) and go away. But, during the transfer server can become overloaded and block any newer connections to it. While file is being uploaded it's connection will not be interrupted anyway, so there's no harm for my transfers. But, if TC will try automatically resume connection every 1/2/5/... minutes (default expire-time on that server), the requests will go to nowhere and only make noise, eating my traffic and transfer speed (can be slow on wireless networks).

deleted deleted deleted

User modified his posts some days later for to add spam links => User is banned now.
Last edited by nateliv on 2019-05-07, 17:43 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2nateliv
nateliv wrote: 2019-05-07, 01:35 UTC For example, my situation.
Why do you post abote remote location? There is a drive letter shown on the screenshot.
Which provider still uses FTP?

Let's see Hanlon's razor in action: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor
1. Either your situation is unreal - or true, but somehow exaggerated.
2. Either your hosting providers have misconfigured servers by stupidity - or they want you to pay (more) money.

Whatever the problem is, it's off topic here.
You should first contact your provider's support. I suspect that the answer will be "You're opening too many connections".
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator