a Group of new advanced features

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

raselk

a Group of new advanced features

Post by *raselk »

Hiya,

I have been using this for longer than I can remember, I need to contribute more - so here is a start, I think the combination of these will put power users like me use Total Commander for everything we do

Advanced user mode (Clutter free mode)
- All buttons disappear, u get the two panes and command-line only, Pressing the escape button toggles between them (reduces clutter on windows)

- Command-line, divided into sessions with history of commands and output easy to copy and paste, with support for Unix bash support - (essentially support for multiple shells), if ssh support is available - it would be really cool

- Lister/vIewer to support slideshow view even in small window instances

- Ability to monitor selected files for changes - just an alert, perhaps on special circumstances (e.g. reaching size limits)

- Version control on selected files or directories. User can select any file/directory from any part of the system and declare it to be version controlled. TC saves different versions of that file (compressed), and can recall versions. If versions can be stored remotely (dropbox, Google drive/ ftp) even better

- Tail feature on the lister/viewer

Kind Regards

Rasel
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Re: a Group of new advanced features

Post by *MVV »

Advanced user mode (Clutter free mode)
May be done with external tools, e.g. my TCFS2.
Tail feature on the lister/viewer
As I remember, it was requested one or more times, you can search for older topics.
Ability to monitor selected files for changes
This is a task for a background service, and TC is not a such service. So some kind of third-party tools should do it.
Version control on selected files or directories
Again, should be better done with external service.
Command-line, divided into sessions with history of commands and output easy to copy and paste
This may be useful, I don't aware of such plugins.
with support for Unix bash support
You can add a path to Bash tools to PATH environment variable BTW.
essentially support for multiple shells
Well, don't sure if file manager should support shells internally...
if ssh support is available - it would be really cool
I use PuTTY for SSH and I'm pretty happy with it, I have saved a bunch of sessions in it (which are shared with SFTP4TC plugin so I don't have to setup SFTP sessions separately), I start it from TC buttonbar or w/o TC, SSH sessions live when I close TC and finally they have separate taskbar buttons for easier access.
marlar

Post by *marlar »

Re. SSH: I use Linux 99% of the time and TC runs fine under Wine. (What a rhyme!)

For SSH I simply use sshfs which will mount a remote folder locally via SSH. That folder is easily accessible with TC just like any other folder

BTW, I should really post my homemade Linux integrations as it makes using TC under Linux a breeze :)
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

There are also at least two TC plugins for SFTP, one of them uses PuTTY profiles so one can access remote FS w/o typing login/password.
raselk

Post by *raselk »

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the late response - I was expecting email notifications, nvm.

With regards to the features, I do use a variety of tool which accomplishes the same result, The point of this group of suggestions is that if it was all combined within TC, it would make TC a powerful Total commander. From one interface, access to a lot of stuff that most of us apparently do quite regularly. With the bash shell, I was talking about supporting commands for the new Unix support in Windows.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I don't think that most TC users need SFTP and bash commands in TC, so such features should be optional.

If some feature integration is easilly done with a plugin, it is perfect. It may get updates more often than TC itself, and there may be a choice which one to use, e.g. one tiny and with limited features and another one with full bash support. But I really think that it is better to use bash commands from any of its ports.

The only problem with features that may not be done as plugins.