Button bar enhancements, copy names in Sync. dirs.

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Rekrul

Button bar enhancements, copy names in Sync. dirs.

Post by *Rekrul »

I'm back to suggest some simple (I think) additions to TC that would make it more powerful and nicer to use.

1. An option to execute button bar commands on each file selected, one at a time.

As it is now, any button you add to the button bar will only work with the file that is currently in the selection box/cursor, or in some cases on the list of all files selected. However it would be very useful to have an option to execute the command individually on each file selected. For example, let's say that I have a command to convert a file to a different format. If I try to feed it ten files at once, it's just going to get confused. So I would need to click each file and then click the button to convert it. It would be great if I could check an option in the button bar configuration so that it would execute the command on each file in turn. Convert the first file, then convert the second file, and so on. To do this, internally create a list of all the selected files and then just call that button for each one.

2. An option to add multiple commands on a single button.

You can only add a single command to any one button. It would be useful if you could add multiple commands to the same button to be executed one after the other. Maybe create a separator character that can be inserted between commands and between the parameters. Like how the multi-rename's search and replace function allows you to enter multiple search and replace terms by separating them with the vertical line character. You enter two or more commands and two or more corresponding sets of parameters in the button bar config and when you click that button, it will execute the commands one after the other. The advantage of this is that you could have it perform multiple operations on the same file(s).

3. Feed selected names in Synchronize directories to Listbox.

When you use Synchronize directories, your only option is to copy the selected files to the directory being compared. What if you want to preserve those files by copying them elsewhere? A new option on the popup menu; "Copy selected names to Listbox" would be very helpful. It would only copy the names on one side or the other, not both. Maybe there could be separate options for the selection on the left or right?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Button bar enhancements, copy names in Sync. dirs.

Post by *Dalai »

Rekrul wrote: 2019-09-08, 07:04 UTC2. An option to add multiple commands on a single button.
That's already possible. See TC help for more details:
2. You can also place one or more of Total Commander's internal menu commands here comma-separated. Just click on the button with the magnifying glass and choose a command from the dialog box "Choose command".
Example for multiple commands: cm_SelectAll,cm_Copy
cm_wait x adds a delay of x milliseconds, e.g. cm_SelectAll,cm_wait 1000,cm_Copy
You can open a virtual folder with one of the following commands:
cm_OpenDesktop, cm_OpenDrives, cm_OpenControls, cm_OpenFonts, cm_OpenNetwork, cm_OpenPrinters, cm_OpenRecycled
When you use Synchronize directories, your only option is to copy the selected files to the directory being compared.

Not true. After you click Synchronize (before confirming it) you are given the option to change the target directory/directories. Yes, TC doesn't provide a list of directories open in left/right tabs, but it's possible to copy the files to any other directory nonetheless.

Regards
Dalai
Last edited by Dalai on 2019-09-08, 16:52 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Button bar enhancements, copy names in Sync. dirs.

Post by *petermad »

You can also place one or more of Total Commander's internal menu commands here comma-separated. Just click on the button with the magnifying glass and choose a command from the dialog box "Choose command".
Might I add that multible commands also supports user defined commands (em_commands), so just make em_commands for as many external programs you like and combine them comma separated i a button.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar