synchronize results screen: collapse directories

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

lezerogan2

synchronize results screen: collapse directories

Post by *lezerogan2 »

In synchronize directories results screen, the format is a line of the directory name followed by lines of its filenames. I wish there was a way to collapse and re-extend (-,+) any directory I want, to not showing the files in it. Just leave the directory name line. Collapsing a directory will collapse all its sub-directories.
Sometimes I want to know where the main differences between source and target are, and some directories with a lot of sub-directories or a lot of files file, are interrupting me to see the whole picture.
foersom

Re: synchronize results screen: collapse directories

Post by *foersom »

lezerogan2 wrote: 2019-10-17, 09:10 UTC I wish there was a way to collapse and re-extend (-,+) any directory I want, to not showing the files in it. Just leave the directory name line. Collapsing a directory will collapse all its sub-directories.
Yes please, I have wanted this for many years. When I do large compares there are usually some sub-dirs with lots of files that are not relevant. Collapsing a sub-dir would ease overview a lot.

Related to this: In "Synchronize directories" there is status line at bottom with "Files found: ## (Identical: ##, Different: ##, Unique left: ##, Unique right: ##)" that show the totals. For each sub-dir headline, collapsed or not, I would like the similar sub-totals "Files found, Identical ..." to be showed for the sub-dir. Perhaps this should be aligned to right side of window.

When Synchronize: In the group box titled show there are the colored speed buttons. When a button is de-activated the files are not displayed and they are not part of the synchronize. Likewise when a sub-dir is collapsed, the files are not displayed so they should NOT take part in the synchronize action.
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Re: synchronize results screen: collapse directories

Post by *StatusQuo »

lezerogan2 wrote:I wish there was a way to collapse and re-extend (-,+) any directory I want, to not showing the files in it.
Support ++ (but already suggested e.g. here edit: or here)
Preferrably using left/right cursor keys (similar to Explorer tree):
Cursor-left on a file could go up to its parent directory, cursor-left on the dir fold it, cursor-right unfold it again.
foersom wrote:Likewise when a sub-dir is collapsed, the files are not displayed so they should NOT take part in the synchronize action.
Interesting idea.
Intuitively I would prefer that fold/unfold only affects the display, so only navigating the list would get easier.
But your approach would also solve the missing "select this dir with all sub-directory content". I guess I could get used to it. :)

--
This may help in the meantime:
  • "Remove selection (Ctrl+M)" for a complete dir can be done after right-clicking the dir. (Although this can't select subfolders yet.)
  • new in TC 9.50 (quite hidden feature):
    HISTORY.TXT wrote:05.11.2018 Added: Synchronize dirs: Use Ctrl+PageUp/PageDown to jump to next/previous directory (32/64)
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!