Persistent selection across directories

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

aviasd

Persistent selection across directories

Post by *aviasd »

Hi
It would be nice to implement the following features:
* Auto select the current selection filter when entering a directory.
* As supplement feature to the above - show only selected as an auto trigger.

Other nice features to have:
* Ability to script / combine multiple commands to one button/keyboard shortcut. I.E make selection + show only selected
* In copy/zip dialog ability to store all filenames as utf-8 by default
* In copy dialog ability to continue on all errors, skipping failed files - I usually leave TC to perform long copy command only to find that it stopped on some error or whatever, which I usually just skip.
* In branch mode - Ability to view relative path. I.E folder1/file1 , folder1/file2, folder2/file1 etc
* With F7 - Ability to create multiple folders under the current folder.
* In command mode - Parse command delimiters like in cmd. E.G md a ; md b should create two folders a and b and not "a ; md b"
* When defining selection groups ability to rearrange by custom order, not alphabetical to avoid naming them with 1. , 2. etc. preferably drag and drop.

Edit: I looked at View modes and the auto commands but I want a feature that auto commands are rerun every time I enter a directory, whichever directory not by a rule. Also I could not figure out how to auto select a group with cm_SpreadSelection
What will Total commander be like 10 years from now?
Tc 9.51 Final, #351732 Single, Win7x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Persistent selection across directories

Post by *petermad »

Auto select the current selection filter when entering a directory.
I looked at View modes and the auto commands but I want a feature that auto commands are rerun every time I enter a directory, whichever directory not by a rule. Also I could not figure out how to auto select a group with cm_SpreadSelection
Can you give an example of what it is you want here??

Ability to script / combine multiple commands to one button/keyboard shortcut. I.E make selection + show only selected
You can make multiple separate em_commands and then combine them in one command separated by commas - you can do the same with cm_commands, and mix them.

In copy/zip dialog ability to store all filenames as utf-8 by default
"Configuration" -> "Options..." -> "Zip packer" -> "Additional settings" -> "Pack Unicode names:" -> "Store Unicode names as UTF-8 (PkZip 4.5/Winzip 11.2 method)"

In branch mode - Ability to view relative path. I.E folder1/file1 , folder1/file2, folder2/file1 etc
Can be seen in the status line below the file panel. Can also be seen in a Custom column (full path though / not relative - I haven't yet found a wcx plugin that can show relative paths in branch view).

With F7 - Ability to create multiple folders under the current folder.
Just enter the dirnames separated with a pipe | - for example: dir1|dir2|dir3
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
aviasd

Post by *aviasd »

petermad wrote: 2019-12-30, 22:45 UTC
Auto select the current selection filter when entering a directory.
I looked at View modes and the auto commands but I want a feature that auto commands are rerun every time I enter a directory, whichever directory not by a rule. Also I could not figure out how to auto select a group with cm_SpreadSelection
Can you give an example of what it is you want here??
Actually I just found a way to do what I want... Basically it was just to display specific selection on every directory I enter. For example show only videos.
Ability to script / combine multiple commands to one button/keyboard shortcut. I.E make selection + show only selected
You can make multiple separate em_commands and then combine them in one command separated by commas - you can do the same with cm_commands, and mix them.
Nice to know ! Is there a way to auto choose a group with cm_SpreadSelection command (I.E auto select *.avi )
In copy/zip dialog ability to store all filenames as utf-8 by default
"Configuration" -> "Options..." -> "Zip packer" -> "Additional settings" -> "Pack Unicode names:" -> "Store Unicode names as UTF-8 (PkZip 4.5/Winzip 11.2 method)
"
Nice!
In branch mode - Ability to view relative path. I.E folder1/file1 , folder1/file2, folder2/file1 etc
Can be seen in the status line below the file panel. Can also be seen in a Custom column (full path though / not relative - I haven't yet found a wcx plugin that can show relative paths in branch view).
Hmm I know about the custom column option, Still would be nice to implement that
With F7 - Ability to create multiple folders under the current folder.
Just enter the dirnames separated with a pipe | - for example: dir1|dir2|dir3
Very good ! Did not know that. As I side note - Is there somewhere a documentation with all these "mini features" somewhere ?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Is there somewhere a documentation with all these "mini features" somewhere ?
Most is in the Help - even if a dialog doesn't have a help button, there is most often help to get by pressing F1.
Some is in the Wiki https://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/
Some is in the History.txt file.

Nice to know ! Is there a way to auto choose a group with cm_SpreadSelection command (I.E auto select *.avi )
Not with cm_spreadselection but with the command: SELECTFILES

You can make a command in your usercmd.ini file like this:

Code: Select all

[em_selectavifiles]
cmd=SELECTFILES *.avi

If you want only the selected files to be shown you can make this command:

[em_selectandshowonlyavifiles]
cmd=em_selectavifiles,cm_ShowOnlySelected

Or if you want to show only avi file, but not have them selected you can use:

[em_showonlyavifiles]
cmd=em_selectavifiles,cm_ShowOnlySelected,cm_ClearAllFiles
this one removes all folders from the view

This can be done much easier though:

[em_showonlyavifiles2]
cmd=cd *.avi
this one preserves showing folders.

And if you want the last one with selected files:

[em_selectandshowonlyavifiles2]
cmd=em_showonlyavifiles2,cm_SelectAllFiles
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
aviasd

Post by *aviasd »

Very nice :) - Tested the second option and it works nicely...
I actually knew about usercmd.ini but have not explored it as much as I should have...
I'll play with it some more and see what I can do with it..
(BTW - The help does not contain info about usercmd.ini - I did not find it anyway, but the wiki does)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

You can edit the usercmd.ini from the "Choose Command" dialog. - run cm_CommandBrowser - scroll down to the bottom of the left panel and choose usercmd.ini - then you will see buttons for "New", "Edit", "Delete" and "Rename/Copy" for the entries in usercmd.ini.

The actual dialog for editing the user commands is the samne as for editing buttons in the buttonbar "Change single button" - which has it's own help page
License #524 (1994)