Command line in "Current directory" panel (CD<>CMD switch)

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Command line in "Current directory" panel (CD<>CMD switch)

Post by *Fla$her »

Almost every day there are problems with the command line due to its overlapping by pop-up taskbar on top of TC, which sometimes is not hidden due to an active task or a signal in the notification area.
It would be great to switch between the panel header and command line mode using the hotkey, internal command and toggle button in front of the change button to root/parent directory. This is also relevant when using quick search/filtering without having to reset them.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Command line in "Current directory" panel (CD<>CMD switch)

Post by *Dalai »

Fla$her wrote: 2020-02-04, 21:51 UTCIt would be great to switch between the panel header and command line mode using the hotkey [...]
Are you looking for Ctrl+F8 (opens command line history) or Cursor-right (places cursor in command line)? However, the latter doesn't work when the quick filter (Ctrl+S) is opened.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2Dalai
I'm definitely not looking for something I may not know about, because I am very familiar with the functionality of the program. I write requests that have long been discussed on the Russian TC-forum, but have not been published here.
CMD-history has nothing to do with the case. Look at the title. ;)
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Fla$her wrote: 2020-02-05, 01:25 UTCI'm definitely not looking for something I may not know about, because I am very familiar with the functionality of the program.
Good for you that you know how much you know about TC, but I don't know how much you know, so I can't assume you know about Cursor-left/-right. And besides, history has shown that people - in some cases - certainly don't know that something is already possible when making suggestions.
CMD-history has nothing to do with the case. Look at the title. ;)
Then I don't understand your request/suggestion. Do you mean the current path bar by refering to "panel header"? Do you want to have separate command lines in both panels?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Dalai wrote: 2020-02-05, 02:12 UTCAnd besides, history has shown that people - in some cases - certainly don't know that something is already possible when making suggestions.
I know very well about this too. But it doesn't concern me. :)
Dalai wrote: 2020-02-05, 02:12 UTCDo you mean the current path bar by refering to "panel header"?
Yes. In the help file on the "User interface" page it's named "Current directory".
Dalai wrote: 2020-02-05, 02:12 UTC Do you want to have separate command lines in both panels?
Why both? I'll just use the hotkey or press the specified button to call the CMD mode, launch any command, and switch back to the CD mode.
Please do not confuse switching MODEs within one window component and switching FOCUS between two different ones! I definitely don't need the second one. ))
Overquoting is evil! 👎
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

A command line in path bar would look quite weird...

Wouldn't it be easier to just enable F-buttons bar so Windows taskbar would overlap it and not command line? Especially since full-screen mode is not official. :wink:
Perhaps disabling taskbar topmost style would be better, but I've just noticed that this option was removed after WinXP (but it isn't too hard to use some kind of a script to remove topmost style in a loop)...
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

MVV wrote: 2020-02-05, 06:17 UTCA command line in path bar would look quite weird...
Until it becomes a habit. I find it convenient.
MVV wrote: 2020-02-05, 06:17 UTCWouldn't it be easier to just enable F-buttons bar so Windows taskbar would overlap it and not command line? Especially since full-screen mode is not official. :wink:
Then there is no sense in saving space. I mentioned getting rid of function key bar on the Russian board. And it's not just about the full screen, but about the stretched window in restored mode.
MVV wrote: 2020-02-05, 06:17 UTCPerhaps disabling taskbar topmost style would be better
This can be harmful when working with windows that already have this style, such as Task manager.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Now I understand this request. However, I see a couple problems with it:
  • Imagine that you have made some input and press the hotkey to switch the mode. What happens with the inputs made so far? Should TC discard them? What if you made lengthy/complex inputs? Would be annoying to lose them or make them again, that's for sure.
  • There is much less space for inputs compared to the existing command line, so typing long commands/paths there is quite inconvenient.
One more (general) advice: Suggestions and requests have much more success of being implemented the more people see advantages in them. The more people understand a request the more people can potentially support a request. What I'm trying to say is that you should take care when phrasing a suggestion.

[EDIT]
Typo
[/EDIT]

Regards
Dalai
Last edited by Dalai on 2020-02-05, 17:32 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#101164 Personal licence

Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Dalai wrote: 2020-02-05, 13:59 UTCHowever, I see a couple programs with it:
Programs or problems? )
Dalai wrote: 2020-02-05, 13:59 UTCImagine that you have made some input and press the hotkey to switch the mode. What happens with the inputs made so far? Should TC discard them? What if you made lengthy/complex inputs? Would be annoying to lose them or make them again, that's for sure.
Whether the history of the shortened command line will appear or not is a separate issue, which can be discussed after the first implementation. For problematic situations, I can do without a history. If the history will be common to this and the main command line, then I will only be for.
Dalai wrote: 2020-02-05, 13:59 UTCThere is much less space for inputs compared to the existing command line, so typing long commands/paths there is quite inconvenient.
It's not a problem, and certainly not compared to mine. Those for whom it is inconvenient will use it where it is more convenient for them. It's a matter of choice and that's all. The same can be said about the unplaced path length. This doesn't really matter given the screen resolution, manipulations with the width of the window/panels, etc.
Dalai wrote: 2020-02-05, 13:59 UTCOne more (general) advice: Suggestions and requests have much more success of being implemented the more people see advantages in them. The more people understand a request the more people can potentially support a request. What I'm trying to say is that you should take care when phrasing a suggestion.
Well, I don't see that you are trying to support me in any of the topics you already understand. So far, I see only criticism.
You can go to the Russian board as an experiment and try your hand at my language. As one of the key experts, I will welcome you there with open arms and tell you how to make requests correctly. ;)
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Fla$her wrote: 2020-02-05, 16:50 UTCPrograms or problems? )
Oops. The latter, of course. I edited my post above.
Whether the history of the shortened command line will appear or not is a separate issue, which can be discussed after the first implementation. For problematic situations, I can do without a history.
I'm NOT talking about the history. OK, let me try to be more specific. Assume that the path bar is in CMD mode and you're typing some command including a long path. Then you press the hotkey button to switch the mode. Note that you don't confirm the command typed before. What should TC do in such a situation? Discard the input made previously so that the user needs to type the command again? Ask the user what to do? Things like this must be discussed before such a feature gets implemented because badly implemented features won't be used and/or might shine a bad light on a product.
This doesn't really matter given the screen resolution, manipulations with the width of the window/panels, etc.
Well, screen resolution is only one of many factors. Font type, font size, window scaling and some others also contribute to the size of objects on screen.
Well, I don't see that you are trying to support me in any of the topics you already understand.
It depends on the suggestion and if I think if such a feature makes sense - this is (highly) subjective, of course. Note that I also don't comment on suggestions of features I don't care about. But I do comment on suggestions where I see potential issues the OP (or anybody else) has overlooked certain things or may not have put enough thought into them. That's why it might appear like I only criticise, but that's certainly not the case.
You can go to the Russian board as an experiment and try your hand at my language. As one of the key experts, I will welcome you there with open arms and tell you how to make requests correctly. ;)
I'm definitely aware of the language barrier. However, I'm sure you agree that it's a lot easier for people to chime in on something they immediately understand and can identify with. Suggestion that are not understood either provoke questions or are might be just ignored - at least that's how it works in my experience. To be a little more helpful: You're free to add screenshots, mockups or other things to your suggestions to maybe help make clear(er) what you're talking about. (Note that the forum doesn't allow uploads, so images/files need to be uploaded elsewhere and linked to in a posts.)

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Fla$her
Almost every day there are problems with the command line due to its overlapping by pop-up taskbar on top of TC, which sometimes is not hidden due to an active task or a signal in the notification area.
I have problems understanding this part, so I have to ask a couple of enlightening questions:
1. Do you have hiding of Windows' taskbar enabled?
2. Do you have the lower border of TC's main window in contact with the bottom of the screen, so that the taskbar overlaps TC when it pops up?

Otherwise I don't understand your problem - both settings mentioned above are not standard - maybe common - but nevertheless nothing you can assume that all users are acquainted with - so it can be hard for others to understand your reason for the request.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar