View Mode <Default>

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tuska
Power Member
Power Member

View Mode <Default>

Post by *tuska »

"View Mode" has been available since Total Commander Release 9.0 final.
I have written the following here under point 1. VIEW MODE:

Code: Select all

View Mode <Default> ........): You should/must define here what you want to get as a view when a View Mode has finished,
............................): especially in the case of a combination with an Auto Switch Mode. 
............................): E.g. Columns view: Full, Sort order: Name / See also: Help-F1!
After I already had some experience with "View Modes" and "Auto Switch Modes" I would like to suggest the following:

Code: Select all

View Mode <Default>
- Columns view ..............: Full	--> instead of "Unchanged"
- Sort order ................: Name	--> instead of "Unchanged"
Reason:
- In my opinion, this default setting is almost always used when using a View mode with an Auto Switch Mode
- The user no longer has to make this entry and can no longer forget to make this setting
- 'Custom columns views' can also use the command: cm_SrcViewMode0 to reset the view to the default values of the View mode
- In the case of forum inquiries, it is not always necessary to ask whether a default value has been set or in the case of examples,
  it is not necessary to refer to the default value every time or to add these default values to the example
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: View Mode <Default>

Post by *petermad »

I only OCCSIONALLY sort by Name - so I would not like that change.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Full columns view is OK, Sort order should be unchanged. I don't want any order change when navigating in a folder with many level of subfolders.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Usher wrote:I don't want any order change when navigating in a folder with many level of subfolders.
Help wrote:Directory: Name of the directory to match the current directory.
By appending a * to the end, all subdirectories will be matched too.
Example: c:\photos\* The folder "photos" and all subfolders ...
But I just realize I have a different approach here.
For me, 'View Mode' <Default> means exactly what I wrote above (extract from the summary).

Everything else (views with sorting, views when navigating through folder structures, etc.)
I am trying to solve with 'View Modes' with built-in 'Custom column views' and 'Auto Switch Modes'
with regard to automatically obtainable views.

If the sorting stays on "unchanged" then manual intervention will probably be more necessary,
as if you set a default value that can be applied automatically after leaving a 'View mode' with 'Auto Switch Mode'.

With unskilled users, such a setting can even lead to an unexpected view (there were already some...).

EDIT:
I have deliberately chosen these default settings as an example because they also correspond to the view in TC,
which is displayed with a clean.ini after calling TC.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2tuska
If you, as I, have Auto Switch Modes set up for A, S, F V, P, U, L1234 and D (in that order) with all folder specific rules put between A and S, then the <default> view is almost never invoked, because there is always another mode that matches.

For Auto Switch Modes for specific folders or folder trees where I might change Columns view and/or Sort order I find it better to use Auto-run commands when leaving the mode - like: *|cm_SrcLong or *|cm_SrcUnsorted or both *|cm_SrcLong,cm_SrcUnsorted - it is much more reliable than trusting that the Auto Switch for the next location will do what you want.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2petermad
petermad wrote: If you, as I, have Auto Switch Modes set up for A, S, F V, P, U, L1234 and D (in that order) with all folder specific rules
put between A and S, then the <default> view is almost never invoked, because there is always another mode that matches.
I don't have nearly as many settings here as you do. :)
I'm just a little bit surprised that you have spoken against a change, although this change would almost not concern you.

I still stick to my opinion that for the majority of users changing the default setting from "Unchanged" to the mentioned values
would bring an advantage - except if these settings at the next update/upgrade would be overwritten again.
petermad wrote: For Auto Switch Modes for specific folders or folder trees where I might change Columns view and/or Sort order I find it better
to use Auto-run commands when leaving the mode - like: *|cm_SrcLong or *|cm_SrcUnsorted or both *|cm_SrcLong,cm_SrcUnsorted -
it is much more reliable than trusting that the Auto Switch for the next location will do what you want.
Basically, I also use this procedure (e.g. |cm_50percent), but when defining a View mode I also know
what I have defined as the default value and include this in my considerations.

Thank you for your opinion/input.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2tuska
...although this change would almost not concern you
You are right - I just think that it might be more confusing/surprising for the average user with your suggested settings for <default> - but then again, the current setting can also be confusing/surprising - it depends on the users expectations.
License #524 (1994)
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2petermad
OK, I think we've made our point. :)

Since I personally already assume with 100% certainty that this proposal will never be implemented,
I suggest we leave the topic as it is.