Suggestion: Copy from command line

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

UtilityJunkie

Suggestion: Copy from command line

Post by *UtilityJunkie »

I use batch files and WinRar to automate backups of various things and the archives can get pretty big sometimes. I use xcopy to copy the backup archives to various locations and it works fine but xcopy provides no visual feedback.

It would be great if we could call TC from a shell similar to /L= and /R= but for copying filespecs (or folder trees, I suppose if we specified a trailing \ in the path), so we could have TC perform the copy using its usual copy dialog with progress bars.

There could also be a command line switch to make it "quiet" for those who just wanted the copy function without any visual display, and I suppose a command line switch would be necessary to auto-confirm overwriting files and folders without any prompts.

Thanks for listening.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Suggestion: Copy from command line

Post by *Dalai »

This suggestion should be moved to the appropriate subforum (TC 9.2x bug reports is definitely the wrong place).

Regarding the topic:
Since there are several command line copy tools, and even some GUI tools that can be automated with switches, I don't see a need to add something like this to TC. Examples: robocopy (as part of Windows since Vista) can be used, and probably even other tools recommended multiple times in this forum are capable of doing this, like FastCopy or TeraCopy. Haven't tested the latter two, though.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
UtilityJunkie

Post by *UtilityJunkie »

Thanks for the speedy response. I just uninstalled TeraCopy because it didn't appear to have any command line options. As far as I could tell, it was just drag n drop, so I was going to make this suggestion to the devs of TeraCopy when I thought of TC and made the suggestion here instead. :)

But I found a page with TeraCopy's command line parms (doh!) and I had no idea about robocopy either. Either will work fine, thanks much for the suggestions.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod=Hacker]Moved to the Suggestions forum.[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.