Add info about SFTP to the "Connect to ftp server" dialog window

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Did you have a trouble to find out that you need a plugin to connect to an SFTP server?

No
33%
Yes
67%

Total votes: 3

tarest

Add info about SFTP to the "Connect to ftp server" dialog window

Post by *tarest »

In my opinion, it would be beneficial to add information that SFTP connection needs SFTP plugin in the "Connect to ftp server" dialog window.

Image: https://i.ibb.co/FhnZYqv/Total-Commander-FTP.png

I have been using Total Commander, its plugins, and FTP servers for about 20 years. But I was unaware that I need a plugin to obtain some security conections with FTP servers.
Last edited by tarest on 2020-07-26, 13:54 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hacker

Re: Add info about SFTP to the "Connect to ftp server" dialog window

Post by *Hacker »

Well, despite its name, SFTP is in no way related to FTP, so, technically, the FTP dialog should not contain anything SFTP-related. On the other hand I agree that maybe the different types of data connections could be presented in a more unified way.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
tarest

Re: Add info about SFTP to the "Connect to ftp server" dialog window

Post by *tarest »

If there was such information, then I would save several hours as I described it on Cannot connect to FTP server: "This security scheme is not implemented"

Others also have a problem with this:
viewtopic.php?t=26328
viewtopic.php?t=42570
viewtopic.php?p=194182#p194182

I have added a poll.

The names are very misleading. Secure FTP is not secure FTP, because it is not FTP. If one wants secure FTP, then he/she should use FTP Secure.