Connect to shares in background

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Connect to shares in background

Post by *MVV »

When I first connect to a share in TC, it tries to connect to that share, show authorization dialog, apply credentials, ask for another credentials in case of error... All this time entire TC is locked and can't be used for anything else, this is very annoying. Please make such connections background so user could work with other folders while Windows establishes connection.
dindog

Re: Connect to shares in background

Post by *dindog »

Yes, this would be nice. I use TC in my office myself, everytime I shift to network panel by "cm_opennetwork", TC suspends for a while trying add network neighbours, which are A LOT and take quite a while, and this even more annoying when I shift to network panel for file system plugin instead of actually dealing with network neighbours.
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

I have same issue when i switch from one VPN to Another if I do not close/lock tabs in TC i have many slow down.
I currently manage connections/deconnection using net use command in batch scripts..

So yes having this in a background task is a great idea..
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Will TC10 finally do this in background?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Some of the error dialogs are from Windows, and it's not possible to control when they appear. So moving this to a background thread could backfire when you suddenly get a windows error dialog while doing someting else.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Well, there are a lot of cases when stupid dialogs appear and steal the focus so another one wont' hurt more than synchronous connection to shares. :)
You could at least make this optional for those who is ready to such side effects.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I often have tabs with network locations, and often target computers are sleeping or like so, so if I miss a tab, I have to pause my tasks and spend up to 10 seconds or even more on doing stupid things: wait while entire TC is freezed untin it accesses remote share, press Esc or click Cancel or cross in 'Connecting' dialog, wait until TC accesses remote share again and repeat cancellation, if this tab is from my previous Windows session, next time to do is wait for Windows authorization dialog to appear, close it etc...

So it would be a very great TC feature to connect shares in background. I believe that 'Connecting' dialog and Windows authorization dialog may use TC panel as a parent to avoid blocking entire TC window, it would be even greater to allow switching tabs on a side where connection takes place...