Searchable configuration palette (like firefox/tb about:config, cudatext etc)

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Searchable configuration palette (like firefox/tb about:config, cudatext etc)

Post by *hi5 »

As petermad mentions here
petermad wrote: 2020-12-15, 00:48 UTC There are 527 settings in the [Configuration] section alone - they can not all go in the GUI settings.
source: https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=395110#p395110
Although all settings are available in the help and online wiki https://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php?title=Wincmd.ini
I do think a more discoverable and more user friendly method to set them should be integrated IN TC itself and I think being able to search all config options if only by name of the setting and ideally the description and possible values too, would be very useful.

So add a "search settings" options which would bring up listview like menu which is filtered by typing similar to what you see in about:config in firefox or thunderbird and for example the "command palette" you can find in editors such as cuda text (ctrl-shift-p)

It would be relatively easy to create a AHK Script as it iniread/write/delete command and "type to filter" is easy enough, but that would still be an external tool and not easy to "discover" for regular users who can't be bothered to install something like this for the "one time they want to change something"

I didn't know what to search for on the forum to see if this has been suggested in the past, feel free to post links to previous discussions if you know of any.
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Searchable configuration palette (like firefox/tb about:config, cudatext etc)

Post by *petermad »

2hi5

Take a look at the Configuration Editor in Utra TC Editors: https://sites.google.com/site/ultratceditors/ultra_tc_editors
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Searchable configuration palette (like firefox/tb about:config, cudatext etc)

Post by *hi5 »

Yes, something like that but integrated into TC and not third party (didn't know this existed :))
But the search/filter part is so common nowadays I would emphasize that - just typing "copy" or "show" and having all copy/show related settings visible is something that makes it easy to discover in my experience with these other programs.
It is not a complicated gui to make, it is already present more or less in the "Misc. Redefine hotkeys/Choose command" filter as you type section for cm_ commands. So something like, that but for the settings :)
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)