Execute buttonbar for every selected file

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Stiltzkin

Execute buttonbar for every selected file

Post by *Stiltzkin »

i know there is %L and %S and all that. but then you still need external scripting.

wouldn't it be nice have a checkbox like: [x] execute button for every selected file

a simple rar button like this would be executed for each selected file/folder - without the need for batch/powershell and sorts.

Code: Select all

rar.exe a -os -vt -m3 -tl -ep1 -ag" [YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS]" "%T%O.rar" %P%N
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Execute buttonbar for every selected file

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Support++
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

It sounds like a good idea. However, there are a couple of issues compared to a script solution:
  • There won't be any output of the started programs, unless the program(s) would be started via the noclose.exe included with TC. This would complicate inspecting the output for possible errors.
  • There would be a lot of flashing/switching of windows going on, while with a script it all runs within the same CMD/PowerShell/whatever window. This could only be solved when providing an option to run each process minimized, which would have its own set of issues...
  • There would need to be an option to launch all processes simultaneously or serialized because sometimes there's the need for either of them
Note that there still is the makebat "packer" plugin which could make it easier to write/create batch scripts.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Dalai wrote: 2021-03-31, 16:39 UTC It sounds like a good idea. However, there are a couple of issues compared to a script solution:
  • There won't be any output of the started programs, unless the program(s) would be started via the noclose.exe included with TC. This would complicate inspecting the output for possible errors.
  • There would be a lot of flashing/switching of windows going on, while with a script it all runs within the same CMD/PowerShell/whatever window. This could only be solved when providing an option to run each process minimized, which would have its own set of issues...
  • There would need to be an option to launch all processes simultaneously or serialized because sometimes there's the need for either of them
Note that there still is the makebat "packer" plugin which could make it easier to write/create batch scripts.

Regards
Dalai
I fully agree and personaly I use Makebat and TCBL
but there may be simple cases for which the idea is suficient.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Stiltzkin,
Well, the scripting solutions work, and even support running multiple process instances at the same time based on the amount of CPU cores (or user-defined), if you're looking for a solution / workaround.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Stiltzkin

Post by *Stiltzkin »

i don't disagree with the points brought up.
it's not meant as a replacement for more fleshed out list/batch processing of files - just an optional feature that can be handy sometimes.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

I would support if it looked like commands with additional conditions:

cm_MultiRun — for folders and files
cm_MultiRunF — ignore folders
cm_MultiRunD — ignore files
%SN — parameter with the full name of the list item
An important condition should be to ignore the launch from fs-plugins and virtual folders.

I see several advantages:
  • The speed of making multi-call commands and loyalty to ordinary users.
  • Save space in a significant array of such commands for bar-files and usercmd.ini.
  • Correct transmission of names with unicode characters against lst2str, lst2multi, cmd /c for "delims=" %i in ('type %WL') do ...
  • No need to create lists in the %Temp% folder without limiting the length of the command line when passing %S.
In addition to working with archives (here scripts have a clear advantage), there are a lot of other tasks that don't require complex debugging when processing the list.
Dalai wrote: 2021-03-31, 16:39 UTCThis could only be solved when providing an option to run each process minimized
I would prefer hiding the process window.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Maybe now?
Overquoting is evil! 👎