TCP Connection between TC instances

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pplupo

TCP Connection between TC instances

Post by *pplupo »

Currently, when I want to transfer files between computers, I have a button that starts an anonymous FTP server in the current dir and then I go to the other computer and connect to it to download a file.

It would be really neat if I could select files or directories, click on "send to...", select a previous IP on the dropdown (or type a new one) and receive it on the other TC.
I know it would require TC to be listening and many people wouldn't want a server up running all the time. I would be ok if I had to click on the TC somewhere to enable receiving the content and then the server would close automatically after the transmission was complete. It would be cleaner and safer than what I do currently.

So, go to TC #1, select "receive from other TC" (we could even select an IP so that attempts from other machines would be automatically rejected).
Go to TC #2, select the content to be transferred, select "Transfer to.." and pick the IP of the receiver.
After the transmission is complete, TC #1 is no longer accepting connections.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TCP Connection between TC instances

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I don't think that corporations will like this feature...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
pplupo

Post by *pplupo »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-05-23, 17:16 UTC I don't think that corporations will like this feature...
Because one can't open an ftp server at home and send stuff from TC? Or use one of the many cloud plugins? I believe this ship has sailed. :-)
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

How would you implement it? Should TC have a built-in SFTP server/client? Or some other protocol? Well known technologies like FTP/SFTP/FTPS, Google/Microsoft cloud, ... are often blocked or at least monitored by IT departments, so they are under control. Implementing anything proprietary would seem highly suspicious.
And if you work with Windows machines, is there a reason you cannot use SMB or admin shares? Or a single password protected network share dedicated to hosting files temporarily. That would seem more secure than anonymous FTP servers.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
pplupo

Post by *pplupo »

Setting up sharing on Windows is usually painful if you just want to send a file every now and then.

It's not something really necessary, it's just a nice-to-have feature. :-)

Anyways, noticing that it might not be a popular feature, I've just done it by integrating it with existing free command-line tools: http://totalcmd.net/plugring/TCM_Send_Receive.html

This is pretty much what I had in mind.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

Providing it as an independent extension is a great idea.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64