Restore interrupted operations

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

鸞鸞鸞

Restore interrupted operations

Post by *鸞鸞鸞 »

Situation: i use pcloud service. It creates a remote drive as a hard drive (not map a network drive). It's important. The speed is different and depends on my location. Sometimes i copy thousands of files and it takes time. Sometimes the operation is interrupted (connection lost, laptop was out of battery, tc/windows was crashed) and i experience the big problem to continue operation - i have to start again but from what point? I've no idea where the operation was interrupted. If i have few files it's easy just look at folder of destination. But what should I do if files thousands? I can start to copy folder again in the same place and choose to skip existing files. And the problem is that i use a remote drive. It takes hours to compare files (just names, not content; especially if you do it on FTP).

I suggest two solutions (to invent both would be awesome):
1. Restore the session: TC offers to restore task when opens again (if user dismissed then it can be choosed from a menu);
2. TC add postfix for non completed files as torrent clients do. It helps us to find incompleted file and remove it. Then start to copy folder again with skip existing files option. If we don't know the name of incompleted file we have to choose skip+compare (very slow) or if we just choose to skip we will get a corrupted file. Sometimes you realize it at very important time.

At first I thought just to add postfix to all incompleted remote (ftp, network drive) files. But as i told before pcloud and some other cloud clients mount drives as local. So TC doesn't know about that drives and their speed.

Add in the settings option to add postfix looks inconvenient. But not all users want it. I suggest to add a checkbox (like copy with ntfs rights - tbh I've never used it and not sure it's often used option) to the copy/move dialog to add postfix to incompleted files.

Hope i explained clear why i have difficulties with copyingand interruptions.
鸞鸞鸞

Re: Restore interrupted operations

Post by *鸞鸞鸞 »

To explain more clear: TC when copies files creates an empty file as torrent clients and download managers. The problem is when you interrupted the operation you don't know which file isn't downloaded. You see name, correct size. So if you even press to copy full folder of files again and choose "skip existed, overwrite smaller" you won't finish interrupted files in previous session.

Image: https://pasteboard.co/KeOwLKV.png

You can see at this screenshot. Left side is the cloud. Right is the local disk. You can see the difference but about ten files are not downloaded completely.

By this situation i lost many important files coz didn't know that TC creates the same file size.

That's why i think TC must add postfix in the end of non-finished files. Or at least add an option to not create an empty files of the same size during copying. So it will help using "skip existed, overwrite smaller".

Once again why i can't use synchronization: the cloud is not fast. I have 200+ GB of files. When i try to synchronize it takes almost the same time as redownload from the beginning. But for this situation we must compare by content coz size the same. So it means we must redownload to compare size. TC can't create a CRC-file without downloading.