Panes move about/flicker when opening tabs & other

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

now

Panes move about/flicker when opening tabs & other

Post by *now »

Panes flicker because the temporarily move to the right or left when new tabs are added in the other pane. This also happens when the "Show command line" option is disabled and a left or right arrow-key is pressed to show it. It's no biggie, but it's very irritating to see the panes moving about. I tried creating a video of this, but the frame-rate of CamStudio was too low to capture the effect, and I don't have a video camera available to film it "live".
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I cannot reproduce this when adding a tab to the left pane, but I can in the right pane. Is this your experience too?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
now

Post by *now »

This is the behavior I'm seeing:

If left and right pane only contain one tab (no tab bar showing) the panes jump around when I add a tab to the left or right pane. If the right pane already has two tabs then there's no jumping when adding a tab to either the left or right pane. No jumping when left pane has two tabs either. So it seems to be when there are /no/ tabs on either the left or right pane.

Also, I get a jumping effect when displaying the command line when there are no tabs, but there doesn't seem to be any jumping when there are more tabs around.

Also, it seems that the redrawing code is called a bit too often, or it isn't dubble-buffered properly. When I activate the command line with any number of tabs open on either pane both panes are completely redrawn and it seems to be done "on the display", so there's some really nasty flickering of the display. I don't know if this can be avoided in Delphi, but it's sort of annoying.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Are you talking about the tabs being redrawn? Because I don't see anything else that could be called "jumping".

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Here it seems like the Button bar and the Current directory bar (including History and Hotlist buttons) of the opposite panel flickers one time when the FIRST tab is opened in either left or right side.

Opening or closing additional tabs only causes a brief flicker in the active panel.

Turning the LAST tab off only makes the Current directory bar of the oposite panel flicker, but not the Button bar.

Opening a hidden Command line with the left arrow key causes flicker of the Drive combo box, the Current directory bar, the Tabstop header, and the File panel on BOTH sides.

Same elements flicker when turning the Command line off with Escape.

The Drive Buttons and the Function Key buttons never seem to flicker.

EDIT: tab settings: DirTabOptions=1016, DirTabLimit=32
Last edited by petermad on 2006-11-05, 12:26 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

I use Tabs on multiple lines. When a new row of Tabs is initiated (or removed) the Buttonbar flickers, the other pane flickers and the status bar below the file panes flickers.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The flicker comes from the need of redrawing the background theme of all of these dialog items. Try turning off the XP theme of the button bar.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

I did turn off the XP-Stil for the buttonbar, but it still flickers. Just tried to make a video, but that does not catch the flicker.

BTW I don't really feel disturbed by the flicker, just wanted to catch the issue.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Try turning off the XP theme of the button bar
Already did, both Xp background and XP button style - no difference.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
now

Post by *now »

It seems this issue has been resolved in beta 2.