Misspelling word found in French version

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

milo

Misspelling word found in French version

Post by *milo »

Hello,
For your information, the word “kilooctet” was written without “l”.
Perhaps this can be corrected in the next version.

Thanks and best regards
Vansumsen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vansumsen »

:arrow: milo

Welcome on board !

Please read this page : http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octet

Friendly

Paul
Ouistiti, #11943

L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

According to http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octet it is either kilooctet or ko - NOT KiOctets, kioctets, KiO, or Ki-octets as seen in wcmd_fra.lng :!:

If you really wanted to be correct it should be kibioctet / Kio - since TC calculates 1024 octets on a k.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Vansumsen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vansumsen »

According to http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octet I propose the following corrections into wcmd_fra.lng

Replace
175="S.v.p. donnez la taille des archives en Ki-octets (abréviations: 1440, 1200, 720 et 360):"
with
175="S.v.p. donnez la taille des archives en kibioctets (abréviations: 1440, 1200, 720 et 360):"

Replace
1580="Codé|Peu dense|Info version|N° version|Type fichier|octets|KiOctets|Mioctets|Gioctets|Fichier|Dossier|Point de montage|Nom DOS|Chemin|Répertoire|Hors ligne"
with
1580="Codé|Peu dense|Info version|N° version|Type fichier|Octets|Kibioctets|Mébioctets|Gibioctets|Fichier|Dossier|Point de montage|Nom DOS|Chemin|Répertoire|Hors ligne"
or with
1580="Codé|Peu dense|Info version|N° version|Type fichier|octets|kibioctets|mébioctets|gibioctets|Fichier|Dossier|Point de montage|Nom DOS|Chemin|Répertoire|Hors ligne"

Replace
1652="kioctets/s"
with
1652="kibioctets/s"

Replace
1657="kio/s"
with
1657="Kio/s"

Replace
5263="Octets\nKiO\nDynamique (x Kio/Mio/Gio)\nDynamique (x,x Kio/Mio/Gio)"
with
5263="Octets\nKio\nDynamique (x Kio/Mio/Gio)\nDynamique (x,x Kio/Mio/Gio)"

Friendly

Paul
Ouistiti, #11943

olivier.houdas

Post by *olivier.houdas »

I understand your concern about being precise, but in all PC hardware descriptions (shops, advertisements, magazines, papers, blogs, etc.), you will see o, Ko, Mo, Go being used in France.
I live in France, and I have never seen those kio or kibioctet being used.

I worked for a long time as a translator for software interfaces, and I know how tempting it is to be trying to set new standards, but it is important also to stick to reality, especially on already widely used expressions.
In fact, on that particular point, I guess one day software progammers will end counting quantities in thousands of bytes, and not in 1024s of bytes.

So please just don't confuse people and write it the way French are used to see it...

Thanks.
Vansumsen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vansumsen »

:arrow: olivier.houdas

:evil:
So please just don't confuse people...
Who is confusing who ? The media makers who use decimal (right, but the customers purchase smaller media than they think…) That's the reason why Kio must replace ko !
I live in France, and I have never seen those kio or kibioctet being used.
It's to be regretted but i'm not surprised... How many years french people have used the "Anciens francs" after the introduction of the "Nouveaux francs" ?
In fact, on that particular point, I guess one day software progammers will end counting quantities in thousands of bytes, and not in 1024s of bytes.
Your wish shall become true the day when PCs would no more work in binary...

Paul
Ouistiti, #11943

olivier.houdas

Post by *olivier.houdas »

OK then, although your comment
It's to be regretted but i'm not surprised... How many years french people have used the "Anciens francs" after the introduction of the "Nouveaux francs" ?
is completely out of scope and regrettable :evil: - just any change in daily used references is difficult for any people in the world (just think about the metric system in England, to give an easy example not involving your country, not to start a stupid fight).

Now, the IEC also recommends Ki in English, and basically, as an international notation : see IEC, "Prefixes for binary multiples" (sorry, can't post URL due to the forum's policy).

Do you intend to lobby the Total Commander resource writers / reviewers to use this differenciation in English as well (KiB, MiB, GiB, etc.) ?

Actually, my question originated from the fact that notations changed in French from 6.56 to 7.0, but not in the English version. Is Total Commander going to be militant only in its French version ?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

OK, I have changed the French language back to Ko instead of Kio. It really makes no sense to change this only in one language - sorry, Clo.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Clo

Let be the first !

Post by *Clo »

2ghisler(Author)

:) Good morning,

• Sorry too, but you are using false units, and you know that pretty well…

- I bet my shirt that the day when M$ finally writes correct international standard binary units,
ALL programmers rush to their keyboards and work non-stop till all be changed !
- So, let be the first !

- Sooner or later, that shall come…

- It's very disappointing to see our efforts to make the French version conforming to the norms
(and not only about the sizes…) always removed …

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

For users who prefer correct units the new beta version of DirSizeCalc supports a "classic" mode (1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes), binary (1 kibibytes = 1024 bytes) and decimal (1 kilobytes = 1000 bytes) in all locations where content plug-ins are supported.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2Clo
I know that, but I'm getting complaints from users about the new units! Example e-mail:
I have been working with Total Commander for a couple of years now, and I appreciate it very much.

I downloaded version 7.0 beta 5 today. I had 6.51 before that.

So far so good, but there is a little detail which annoys me in the interface : KB/MB/GB have been translated by Kio/Mio/Gio, when the usual translation is Ko/Mo/Go (you can look on any site, any newspaper, advertisement in French, you will NEVER see "Kio").

Before, in 6.51, it was K, M or G, which was not standard (standar is b for bit, B for Byte, KB for KiloByte, MB and GB), but less annoying. However if you change it, please change it to the standard abbreviation.
I noticed that in the English version, those interface resources have in fact not changed.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Clo wrote:ALL programmers rush to their keyboards and work non-stop till all be changed !
Not all. I won't, for example. And there are many people who strongly oppose to these far-fetched "bi-units".
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Vansumsen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vansumsen »

:arrow: Flint

Hum… I guess that you will not be very numerous if you would found a Club…
This doesn't show a good scientist's state of mind. The scientists use the new needed units when they appear, glad or not.

Paul
Ouistiti, #11943

Clo

And the opposite…

Post by *Clo »

:arrow: ghisler(Author)

:) Good evening,

User X… wrote
…I noticed that in the English version, those interface resources have in fact not changed.
• That IS the point…

• I remind you that the opposite is true, say : The issues of the sizes units has been pointed out the first time by a USER in the French forum, like I reported in the tests forum almost 16 months ago :
• In the French forum, the user Acéphale expressed a remark in that thread —> 2. about the size units and the actual applicable standards since 2005.

- Information about these standards can be found HERE in English, and also THERE in French too. …
• We'll offer an alternative French LNG with the right units and characters.
- It could be also useful for you with regard to some big companies¦public services
which want for stuff conforming the norms…

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2007-06-06, 19:54 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Clo

A good step

Post by *Clo »

2Lefteous

:) Hello Christian !

• I saw that quickly, thank you, that's a step in the good direction. :wink:

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo