Dark Mode | Inactive tabs text on right pane is nvisible

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

RADiCAL

Dark Mode | Inactive tabs text on right pane is nvisible

Post by *RADiCAL »

This bug is 100% reproducible.

Prerequisites
I enabled on Windows the dark theme by clicking Start and then typing Color in the search field, clicking Color settings and selecting "Dark" in the "Choose your color" drop-down list.

Notes:
- The bug occurs only on the right pane tabs whether I enable dark mode in the settings whether the left pane or the right pane is active.
- After restarting Total Commander, the bug disappears.
- The bug reproduces in exactly the same manner with either of the dark mode options (1. Always enabled; 2. Only when enabled for Windows 10 apps).

Reproduction Instructions
  1. Enable Dark theme colors on Windows.
  2. Go to Configuration -> Options.
  3. Select "Color".
  4. In Dark Mode field enable dark mode by one of the options (1. Always enabled; 2. Only when enabled for Windows 10 apps).
Post-bug notes
* On the last step, if you change the dark mode selection and to disabled and enable it again (while the Options dialog box is still open), it will take effect immediately (disable - tabs are visible; enable - tabs will become invisible).
* After clicking Apply/OK, the effect remains.
* Moving between the tabs will reveal their text, but only on the active tab on the right pane.
* Closing and starting Total Commander again will make it disappear and all tabs will be visible.

Important note so you will not get baffled: in order to return to square one before reproducing the bug, you will have to have the dark mode settings (in Total Commander) set to disabled and restart TC, or else, the bug will not reoccur.

My educated guess: the fonts color is the same color as the background.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dark Mode | Inactive tabs text on right pane is nvisible

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Enable Dark theme colors on Windows.
Could you please explain what you mean with this?
1. One of the high contrast dark modes?
or
2. Windows 10 settings - Personalize - Colors - Default app mode - dark?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
RADiCAL

Post by *RADiCAL »

I mean 2 (I typed the steps in Prerequisites).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK, thanks for clarification. I was able to reproduce it once, but now it doesn't want to occur. :(
RADiCAL

Post by *RADiCAL »

I added a note just for that.
Please note that in order to reproduce it again you will have to disable dark mode in TC and restart it before you enable dark mode again (in TC).
No change in Windows is required.

Perhaps you tried to reproduce without restarting.
Please let me know if that works for you.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, I was able to fix it now.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

I'm not sure if it's the same problem. In TC 9.50b2 tab headers are invisible no matter if the pane is active - when there is only one tab open with tab header turned on. You must hover the header to get it visible.
Edit: Visibility isn't persistent. Tab headers may disappear again whet TC goes to background.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
RADiCAL

Post by *RADiCAL »

Usher wrote: 2019-10-21, 16:42 UTC I'm not sure if it's the same problem. In TC 9.50b2 tab headers are invisible no matter if the pane is active - when there is only one tab open with tab header turned on. You must hover the header to get it visible.
From my short experience before I entered the bug, the visibility changed only when I pressed CTRL+Tab (or CTRL+Shift+Tab) or mouse-click to select another tab on the right pane.
Usher wrote: 2019-10-21, 16:42 UTC Edit: Visibility isn't persistent. Tab headers may disappear again whet TC goes to background.
Regarding this, I wouldn't know, since I did not try to put it in the background after discovering that TC restart makes the bug disappear.
RADiCAL

Post by *RADiCAL »

Bug is FIXED in TC 9.50b2 (upgraded from 9.50b1).
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

RADiCAL wrote: 2019-10-22, 02:25 UTC
Usher wrote: 2019-10-21, 16:42 UTC I'm not sure if it's the same problem. In TC 9.50b2 tab headers are invisible no matter if the pane is active - when there is only one tab open with tab header turned on. You must hover the header to get it visible.
From my short experience before I entered the bug, the visibility changed only when I pressed CTRL+Tab (or CTRL+Shift+Tab) or mouse-click to select another tab on the right pane.
It's NOT that case. I run Windows XP and use fresh ini with minimal config changes for testing dark mode. In my case there is only ONE tab open in both panels, so Ctrl+tab does nothing. In TC9.50b1 tab headers are OK, in TC9.50b2 they disappear. The only changes needed in fresh ini:
- Enable dark mode.
- Set non-black colors for that mode in config.
- Open "Folder Tabs" options and turn on the first one - "Show tab header also when there is only one tab".

You don't need to do anything more in beta2, just save settings, restart TC with the same ini and see no tab headers. Then hover the tab headers with mouse and you will see them. Then minimize TC, restore it and see no tab headers again.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
RADiCAL

Post by *RADiCAL »

From the one-liner in the RN (17.10.19 Fixed: Switch from light to dark mode: Text in right directory tabs still had the wrong dark color (64)), I gather that the fix was related to the option change in the dialog box and from your description, your bug seems to originate deeper.

IMHO, if my you had my scenario(s) reproduced and fixed with your WinXP, what you describe is a different bug and should go to a new thread (maybe with a link between them just as reference).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I found the problem: The tabs randomly disappear when enabling the option "Tabs on multiple lines", even if they are all displayed on one line.
Try disabling this option until beta 3.
RADiCAL

Post by *RADiCAL »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-10-22, 15:47 UTC I found the problem: The tabs randomly disappear when enabling the option "Tabs on multiple lines", even if they are all displayed on one line.
Try disabling this option until beta 3.
I assume this refers to Usher's message, since I had (and still have) this option checkbox unticked.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2RADiCAL
The problems seems to be somehow connected. Fixes in one place may cause problems in other places.

For my case it's only a part of a problem. With multiline tabs enabled tab headers disappear also for 2 or more tabs in one panel. I did describe the minimal case which exists also with default settings, when multiline tabs are disabled. See my reply in other topic:
https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=54288#p360821
Andrzej P. Wozniak