TC 9.50b1: missed tooltip for unnamed drive

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Slavic

TC 9.50b1: missed tooltip for unnamed drive

Post by *Slavic »

When the drive panel is shown (Configuration, Layout, Show drive buttons), we can move the cursor to the drive button and read the volume label in the tooltip. If the particular drive isn't connected (like a floppy or USB drive), but a drive letter has been assigned, the OS-defined name is shown instead, like "Removable Disk" or "Network Neighborhood". However, if the drive is connected, but has no volume label, TC shows the empty tooltip with a width approximately equal to one space. The option to ask OS for the device name is not used.
1) Clear the volume label on one internal drive, e.g. system drive C:
2) Show the drive panel and look at the corresponding tooltip. It's empty " "
3) Open the Computer (This PC). It shows an unnamed drive like a "Local Disk (C:)"

TC should show the same tooltip like "Local Disk".
Desktop: Windows 11 Pro 23H2, TC 11.03(RC). Mobile: Pixel 5a, Android 14, TC 3.42b5
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TC 9.50b1: missed tooltip for unnamed drive

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Hmm, I don't know - the Alt+F1/F2 list also doesn't show anything when the label is empty. It has been like this for many years. I prefer not to change it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Slavic

Post by *Slavic »

Some additions:
1) I don't have either autorun.inf or desktop.ini in the root of C: (it's a known possible reason of incorrect disk label)
2) From TC history: 14.01.19 Added: If a drive has no volume label, get it from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\<drive>\DefaultLabel like the Explorer (32/64)
In my case, the ...\DriveIcons branch in the Registry exists, but is empty.

Apparently, Explorer shows the drive type (Type:) instead of label if the label is empty. TC could do the same for tooltip, because the empty tooltip looks weird. And for empty drives like A: or B: the tooltip is already equal to the type: "Removable Disk". So the way to get such text exists. At the same time, the lack of label is shown as "_none_" on the drive combobox panel, which is quite clear, no need to change it here.

P.S. "_none_" in the tooltip could also be a possible solution, though a bit less elegant.
Desktop: Windows 11 Pro 23H2, TC 11.03(RC). Mobile: Pixel 5a, Android 14, TC 3.42b5
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Indeed, previous versions of TC did not show any tooltip at all when it was empty. Seeing a tiny empty tooltip is weird and quite distracting. I think it should not be displayed at all.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed, previous versions of TC did not show any tooltip at all when it was empty.
Really? That's strange, I don't remember changing that function. I will compare the sources.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

I confirm that in β3 empty tooltips are no longer displayed. Thanks!
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Slavic

Post by *Slavic »

The same here: in 9.50b3 there is no empty tooltip, like it was in 9.22. Thanks!