[9.50] Drag&Drop from TC to another app breaks under certain conditions

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

[9.50] Drag&Drop from TC to another app breaks under certain conditions

Post by *Flint »

I admit, this is not the most common scenario, but I'm using it constantly, and while in TC 9.22a (and in any other program) it works absolutely fine, in TC 9.50 there is an issue with it.

My system is configured like this: one of the mouse buttons is programmed to emit VK_F13 hotkey message. And in my Windows there is a program running which is registered to handle the F13 hotkey, and when it happens it performs basically what Alt+Tab does (switch to another application/window). So I can switch between the last two applications just by clicking that specific mouse button, without having to reach to Alt+Tab.

Now, one of my most common scenarios is: I start dragging some file from TC window, and while still dragging, I click that "F13-button" to switch to another application's window, and drop the file into that application. The problem is: starting with 9.50 this simply does not work anymore. When I click the button during dragging, the application window is switched, but the mouse cursor does not have the "drag&drop" overlay on it (like it should), and releasing the left mouse button does not put the file into the application. Instead, when I switch back into TC, it suddenly handles the "release" event by itself (even though the event occurred when the focus was in a different application), and the Copy dialog appears. If instead of using my F13-button I keep to normal Alt+Tab, this problem is not reproduced.

I've recorded a video where I do drag&drop first in TC 9.22a (using both methods), then in 9.50:
https://youtu.be/CUZgTJHYEX8
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [9.50] Drag&Drop from TC to another app breaks under certain conditions

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I can confirm the problem with Alt+Tab too, this worked before.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
yyang

Post by *yyang »

The same issue here, without special hotkey.

To reproduce:

1. Setup: Open Total Commander and a text editor. Keep only these 2 programs open and maximized.
2. Drag: Left click a file, hold the left button, and move the pointer by a distance (say 0.2cm) for the "hold" state to appear.
3. Switch: Press Alt+Tab to bring up the text editor. If the "hold" state is lost, move the pointer by another distance for it to reappear.
4. Drop: Release the left button.

With 9.50 b3, the "hold" state often (but not always) disappears in the text editor, and thus nothing is dropped. Typically I can succeed about 10 times in a row, and fail 2~4 times in a row, but not quite predictable.

This type of drag-and-drop works perfectly with Windows Explorer and all previous versions of Total Commander as far as I can remember.

Update: It seems the following type of drag-and-drop always works, but it's very awkward to use:

1. Drag a file down onto the taskbar icon of the text editor to let the text editor's window pop up to the foreground.
2. Drag the file up into the text editor's window.
3. Drop it there.
Last edited by yyang on 2019-11-06, 15:27 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

1. Setup: Open Total Commander and a text editor. Keep only these 2 programs open and maximized.
2. Drag: Left click a file, hold the left button, and move the pointer by a distance (say 0.2cm) for the "hold" state to appear.
3. Switch: Press Alt+Tab to bring up the text editor. If the "hold" state is lost, move the pointer by another distance for it to reappear.
4. Drop: Release the left button.

With 9.50 b3, the "hold" state often (but not always) disappears in the text editor, and thus nothing is dropped.
I can confirm this for both 32bit and 64 bit TC 9.5b3 - wheras it works OK in TC 9.5b2
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This should be fixed in beta 4, please test it!
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

The main scenario is fixed, indeed. However, there's another minor issue I've noticed in 9.50β4 x64 (not reproduced in 32-bit version):

1. Start d&d from TC, switch to another application, and without releasing the file switch back to TC (make sure the cursor will end up over the same TC panel before switching back!).
2. The cursor has the normal "arrow" shape instead of the "action forbidden" shape.

When you move the cursor (still keeping the left button pressed) over the TC window, e.g. into the other panel, or over the toolbar, the mouse cursor changes its shape appropriately, and when you return it to the original active file panel, the shape becomes the expected "forbidden" one.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2. Does that occur in TC 9.22a too?
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Actually, yes, it does. I didn't think to check it there, thought it was a part of that original issue…

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Confirm fixed the cursor shape in 9.50β5.