[9.50] Dark mode switcher is applied instantly

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

[9.50] Dark mode switcher is applied instantly

Post by *Flint »

When you change the option Colors - Dark mode, it is instantly applied to the TC interface, and also saved into INI. This behavior is in contradiction to all of the acquired experience of TC users, that all its options are only applied after the user clicks "Apply" or "OK", and are not saved anywhere if user clicks "Cancel".

I'm not sure why it was implemented like that, but I would ask to change this behavior and make it consistent with all the rest of TC.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [9.50] Dark mode switcher is applied instantly

Post by *petermad »

I guess it is done like that because all the other setting you make in that dialog applies to the chosen mode - in this way you don't make changes to the wrong mode by accident, because it was not obvious visible which mode is active.

Actually - it is not the only place - if you edit a Custom column - then that column wil be applied, even if you don't click apply in Th configuration dialog (but on the other hand - the Custom column editing does take place in another window).

Maybe this change in the legend would be an idea: https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/darkmodeapplied.png ?

Or this: https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/darkmodeapplied2.png - but that could be problematic in some languages.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Maybe "Disable when selected”, "Enable when selected" "Follow Windows 10 settings"?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

2petermad
With the columns, you still confirm the changes in that other dialog, explicitly. It's not the only place this happens, but so far there was no dialog (primary or secondary) where changes applied without you clicking OK anywhere at all (if my memory serves me right).

As for configuring the dark theme colors… Well, you've got a point to some extent, but I'm sure there is a better way to do it, if that was the intention. First of all, the variant "when enabled for Win10 apps" does not fit into this scheme, it still gives you one particular mode, and to configure another one you still have to switch explicitly to it. Also, this is inconsistent with how the file type colors are configured: they have a separate button for switching between configurations, and that button does it without changing the whole TC look, and does not make any permanent INI file changes.

I would expect the main configuration dialog do something similar: when you change the theme, it should only change the selected colors in the selectors, and the preview box, so that user could configure the dark/light theme without fully switching into it. And if he does want to switch into it right now, there is always the "Apply" button, just like for any other setting.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Now I think that color options should be reorganized.

1. There should be radiobuttons on top:

Code: Select all

Active color mode: (*) Normal ( ) Dark ( ) Auto (follow Windows 10 settings)
2. Below there should be 2 tabs "Normal mode" and "Dark mode" for all mode specific settings, configured separately for each mode.
2a. If it's possible "Dark mode" tab window should be always displayed using default dark mode colors.
3. Next to "Other" pulldown list there should be another preview window to watch settings selected in this list.
4. With such a solution there is no need to keep "Normal <-> Dark" button in "Define colors for file types" window.

I can later prepare a picture if needed.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I guess it is done like that because all the other setting you make in that dialog applies to the chosen mode
That's exactly the reason!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

2ghisler(Author)
What about my thoughts in this post? Even though I now the reasoning now, I still find the current implementation really counter-intuitive and inconsistent. I'm sure it could be implemented consistently, like the "define colors by file type" now works.

Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Or by using a checkmark like in Misc section for redefining hotkeys.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Usher wrote: 2019-11-13, 14:21 UTC3. Next to "Other" pulldown list there should be another preview window to watch settings selected in this list.
History.txt wrote:20.11.19 Release Total Commander 9.50 beta 6
19.11.19 Added: Configuration - Options - Color: Show preview (example output) also for Lister, Compare by contents, title bars, hint windows, and dark mode (32/64)
Much better now. Many thanks!
Andrzej P. Wozniak