Solved [TC 10 b2] Not able to cycle between view modes if internal mode is chosen as first mode

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Solved [TC 10 b2] Not able to cycle between view modes if internal mode is chosen as first mode

Post by *petermad »

When using Listers "Define view mode by file type" - if I choose the "4i Internal" mode as the first mode and a plugin as the second, then pressing 4 when viewing a file will switch to the plugin, but pressing 4 one more time does not switch back to the internal view (or it switches to internal view and immediately to the first plugin).

If I set the plugin mode as the first mode and the 4i mode as the second, then it works as expected.

If I set 3 view modes and the second one is 4i, it is not possible to cycle away from the third (plugin) mode.

So with this setting continous cycling between the 3 modes works:

Code: Select all

[ListerModes]
0exts=*.jpg
0fields=PhotoViewer.wlx,Imagine.wlx,4i
but whith this setting cycling is broken:

[ListerModes]
0exts=*.jpg
0fields=PhotoViewer.wlx,4i,Imagine.wlx
The same with these:

0fields=4i,PhotoViewer.wlx,Imagine.wlx

0fields=4i,PhotoViewer.wlx
This is not new for TC 10, it also applies to TC 9.51
Last edited by petermad on 2021-04-01, 20:21 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC 10 b2] Not able to cycle between view modes if internal mode is chosen as first mode

Post by *DrShark »

I'm not sure that following info is directly related to the situation described in the start post, but I agree that the cycling for Lister views sometimes may be unexpected, and for one of such situations which I encountered when used TC 9.51 Christian Ghisler explained the cycling in Lister as following:
Christian Ghisler by email wrote:when you press '4', TC cycles through available plugins and internal viewer.
It was in context of my case where:
1) F3->Lister uses default viewer (plugin with highest priority, MMedia in my case),
2) I switch to 8 (Explorer Preview),
3) I switch back to 4 (plugin view) -> Lister uses next viewer after MMedia (which in my case is internal VfW player in TC 9.51)

My expectation was that in step 3 wouldn't change the viewer used in step 1 in "4" view, or that Lister would use one with highest priority, but not that it will switch to next one.

So I suggested then to add a way (option) to choose Lister's behavior when a swith goes to Lister's view with many viewers (like Multimedia/4 view) from other view (like ExplorerPreview), to what viewer to use (next one/not changed/default (with highest priority).

P.S. That discussion happened because of the issue with hanging VfW player on most my *.mp4 files, current DirectShow player from TC 10 doesn't hang there. But I then noticed addition kinds of behavior which might be bugs: when there was a hang in VfW after a switch from ExplorerPreview, the <Explorer> text didn't disappear from Lister's title while the VfW control was (at least partially) loaded and showed the first frame of the .mp4 video (and then the hang happened: TC became unresponsive, could be killed only by killing the process (not the task!) of Total Commander in the Task Manager. If anyone can reproduce similar behavior with DirectShow based player, please report it (1 - switch from ExplorerPreview to DirectShow Player, then it (or even whole TC) hangs, but the <Explorer> text is still in the title of Lister; 2 - the hang in DirectShow based player, kill the task of TC/Lister from tasks list on first tab of Task Manager -> the process of TC is still exists as shown at the Processes tab of Task Manager).
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC 10 b2] Not able to cycle between view modes if internal mode is chosen as first mode

Post by *petermad »

Still present in TC 10 b3 :(
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Does the plugin have the MULTIMEDIA option set? Otherwise TC will not jump to it after the internal player.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
Not just multimedia:

1=%COMMANDER_PATH%\PLUGINS\wlx\Imagine\Imagine.wlx
1_detect=MULTIMEDIA & EXT!="TXT" & EXT!="INI" & EXT!="HTM" & EXT!="LNG" & EXT!="MNU" & EXT!="INC" & EXT!="BAR" & EXT!="ION" & EXT!="DIZ" & EXT!="XCF"
2=%COMMANDER_PATH%\PLUGINS\wlx\PhotoViewer\PhotoViewer.wlx
2_detect=MULTIMEDIA & ext="BMP"|ext="JPG"|ext="JPE"|ext="JPEG"|ext="JP2"|ext="J2K"|ext="PNG"|ext="GIF"|ext="TIF"|ext="TIFF"|ext="PSD"|ext="TGA"|ext="PCX"|ext="PCD"|ext="WMP"|ext="WMF"|ext="EMF"|ext="AAI"|ext="JXR"|ext="WDP"|ext="DICOM"|ext="DCM"|ext="WEBP"|ext="PBM"|ext="PPM"|ext="DNG"|ext="RAW"|ext="CRW"|ext="CR2"|ext="NEF"|ext="ORF"|ext="ARW"|ext="DCR"|ext="MRW"|ext="NRW"|ext="PEF"|ext="RAF"|ext="SRF"|ext="X3F"|ext="MEF"|ext="SRW"|ext="3FR"|ext="HEIC"

But, it is not about jumping TO the plugin(s) after the internal player (that works) - it is about not junping BACK to the internal player after the last plugin (no cycling)
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Have ou tried just
0fields=4i
instead of
0fields=4i,4 ?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Have ou tried just
0fields=4i
instead of
0fields=4i,4 ?
it is not
0fields=4i,4
I try to use - it is:
0fields=4i,PhotoViewer.wlx,Imagine.wlx

4i,4 and 4i works as expected -except for a glitch: It starts with internal viewer, then after the first 4-press it uses first plugin (Imagine), at the second 4-press it looks like it uses the internal viewer for less than a second an then shifts to the next plugin (PhotoViewer), at the 3rd 4-press it goes to a HexViewer (immediately), and at 4th 4-press it returns to internal viewer as expected.

With 0fields=4i,PhotoViewer.wlx,Imagine.wlx it starts with internal viewer, after 1st 4-press it uses PhotoViewer. Then at 2nd 4-press it again looks like it uses internal viewer for less than a second and then uses PhotoViewer again - it never uses the third plugin Imagine. More presses on 4 just does the same as 2nd press.

If I switch to 0fields=4i,Imagine.wlx,PhotoViewer.wlx it is Imagine that is used at the 1st 4-press, and PhotoViewer is never being used.

If I use 0fields=Imagine.wlx,4i,PhotoViewer.wlx then it starts in PhotoViewer, after 1st 4-press it uses the internal viewer, and after the 2nd 4-press it uses Imagine - all as expected, but at the 3rd 4-press it just reloads Imagine - and so for additional 4-presses.

If I use 0fields=Imagine.wlx,PhotoViewer.wlx,4i I can cycle through all 3 modes Imagine -> Photoviewer -> internal viewer -> Imagine -> etc. - as expected - but again when shifting from the first to the second pluginit looks like the image is shown with the internal viewer for a split second (most noticeable if PhotoViewer is the second plugin).

If I use more plugins (32bit then, I only have 2 64bit plugins) like this: 0fields=Imagine.wlx,PhotoViewer.wlx,SGViewer.wlx,ImgView.wlx,4i it also works OK as long as I keep 4i as the last mode.

0fields=Imagine.wlx,4i works as expected but with 0fields=4i,Imagine.wlx I get stuck at Imagine (or any other plugin).

So, as long as 4i is not the last mode there is problems cycling through the list of viewer modes which defies the Help:
Help wrote:If you have defined 2 or more view methods for an extension, pressing '4' multiple times will change only through these methods. If you have specified only one view method, opening Lister with F3 will use this method. Pressing '4' multiple times will change all Lister plugins if they support the file type.
License #524 (1994)
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2petermad
But for my tagged audio files it cycles with just
0fields=4i
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Usher
But for my tagged audio files it cycles with just
If you by tagged mean selected then this is not about cycling through selected files, it is about cycling through preselected view modes - in stead of cycling trough all applicable plugins and internal modes.
Help wrote:If you have defined 2 or more view methods for an extension, pressing '4' multiple times will change only through these methods
License #524 (1994)
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2petermad
Maybe I misunderstood the problem. Here's what I've done with new tests:

1. I selected some audio tagged files (all with the same tags, visible by three different plugins) and pressed Shift+F3 to play them all.
2. I cycled pressing 4 on the first file. It worked OK.
3. I pressed N to go to the next file. It worked OK, and the same for P to go to the previous file, but…

But now it's time for problems. N/P work OK, but only for the player, other plugins may go different way when pressing N/P:
* AudioTagView makes ping and don't want to skip;
* decID3wlx skips and keeps to itself;
* AnyTag skips and switches to the player (default, internal).

IMHO switching behaviour depends on features implemented in plugins (the older plugin, the less features) and it's hard to fix fix it in TC itself.
Should I test any more?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Usher

What you need to do, is to set up internal palyer and two plugins players for the file type with the "Define view mode by file type" feature. And the first palayer has to be the internal, which you indicate with 4i and then two plugin players so it will look like this in the "Lister: view methods by file type" dialog:

4i,plugin1.wlx,plugin2.wlx
I cannot test it with sound files myself, I only have one sound file plugin.

EDIT:
when I test it wit just on sound player (mmedia) that is with this setup in "Lister: view methods by file type" dialog

4i,mmedia.wlx
Then when I press F3 on an mp3 file it is played in the internal DirectShow player. When I press 4 it is now played in mmedia player, but when I press 4 a second time it does NOT go bak to the internal player as it should, but just reloads mmedia player again.
License #524 (1994)
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2petermad
As you can see, I have only one player, other plugins show ID3 and other tags so I'm not sure if my tests will be helpful. Of course, I will try and report results.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Usher

As I showed here, I can provoke the bug just with one plugin player:
when I test it wit just on sound player (mmedia) that is with this setup in "Lister: view methods by file type" dialog

4i,mmedia.wlx

Then when I press F3 on an mp3 file it is played in the internal DirectShow player. When I press 4 it is now played in mmedia player, but when I press 4 a second time it does NOT go bak to the internal player as it should, but just reloads mmedia player again.
Which music player plugin do you have? Do you have the mmedia plugin
License #524 (1994)
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

You haven't read my messages carefully enough. I have no other music player plugins set it TC. I tested Internal Media Player (set to "Default system filters" or "Recommended filters") and three (non-player) LISTER PLUGINS to display audio tags.
Anyway, I may add those plugins to "Define…" and do tests, just give me some time. If anything depends on the list order, I have to tests all possible variations: sequences 2 of 4 elements (4!/2!=12), 3 of 4 (4!/1!=24) and all 4 (permutations, 4!=24), which gives 60 tests in total.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Usher

You don't have to test so many, just the internal palyer and one plugin which can show anything about the file (media tag viewer, hexviewer - whatever)

Just enter this in the "Lister: view methods by file type" dialog for an mp3 files:

4i,yourplugin.wlx

And then open an mp3 file with F3 - the press 4 severalt times - and see that you don't cycle between internal player and the plugin, but are stuck at the plugin after the first press on 4.

Afterwards use :

yourplugin.wlx,4i

Now you should see that you can cycle back AND forth between plugin and internal player over and over when pressing 4.

Can you verify that? - Can anybody verify that?
License #524 (1994)