Solved [TC 10 b3] Misleading or confusing text for new [1x] filter in the Sync Tool

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Solved [TC 10 b3] Misleading or confusing text for new [1x] filter in the Sync Tool

Post by *petermad »

After having worked a while now with the new [1x] button for the Synchronize directories tooI, I find that the options for the "Search must match:" needs refrasing

The Help is pretty clear to me, and also describes what I see happening:
Help wrote:Meaning of the various options:
1x: Show files when the filter matches on at least one side.
2x: When the filter matches on both sides (dupes), or there is only one file (singles).
<-: The filter must match the file on the left. Do not show files only present on the right.
<+: The filter must match the file on the left. If there is only a file on the right, the filter must match that file.
->: The filter must match the file on the right. Do not show files only present on the left.
+>: The filter must match the file on the right. If there is only a file on the left, the filter must match that file
But I find the options for the "Search must match:" dropdown list in the "Search filter" dialog misleading and confusing:
Search must match:
on at least one side
on both sides (if present)
on the left (if present), leave out files only present on the right side
on the left side, if not present on the right side
on the right (if present), leave out files only present on the left side
on the right side, if not present on the left side
"on both sides (if present)" - To me this does not clarify that this also applies to a match on only one side, if the other side is not present . It could be read as if both sides has to be present.

"on the left (if present), leave out files only present on the right side" - I find that "(if present)" is redundant - if the file on the left side is not present, then the second part of the rule applies, so there is no need to write "(if present)"

"on the left side, if not present on the right side" - This one is really misleading to me - I read it as the rule only applies it there is a match on the left side, and at the same time there is no file present on the right side (left single). But the rule is: that either the file on the left side matches, or if there is no file present on the left side (right single), then a match with the file on the right side will apply.

I have given it a lot of thought and suggest something like this instead:
Search must match:
on at least one side
on both sides if present (dupes), or on present side (singles)
on the left side, leave out files only present on the right side
on the left side if present, or on the right side (singles)
on the right side, leave out files only present on the left side
on the right side if present, or on the left side (singles)

Or maybe:
Search must match on at least:
one side
both sides if present (dupes), or else on present side (singles)
the left side, leave out files only present on the right side
the left side if present, or else on the right side (singles)
the right side, leave out files only present on the left side
the right side if present, or else on the left side (singles)
Adding "on at least" to all options, indicates that matches on the file on the opposite side is always allowed.
Last edited by petermad on 2021-04-01, 20:17 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [TC 10 b3] Misleading or confusing text for new [1x] filter in the Sync Tool

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Your first suggestion sounds really good, I think I will use that. Thanks for the suggestion.
I will also make the dialog box 100 pixels (at 96dpi) wider to fit in the strings.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC 10 b3] Misleading or confusing text for new [1x] filter in the Sync Tool

Post by *petermad »

history.txt wrote:30.03.21 Fixed: Synchronize dirs: Use easier to understand texts in new dialog opened from button [1x] (32/64)
Confirmed changed in TC 10 b4 :-)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Solved [TC 10 b3] Misleading or confusing text for new [1x] filter in the Sync Tool

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for making that suggestion, it's indeed easier to understand now.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com