Tooltip trimming

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pplupo

Tooltip trimming

Post by *pplupo »

This is something I noted after I installed a specific plugin that allows adding information to tooltips. This is what I have setup:

[=gitcmd.Branch] [=gitcmd.FirstRemoteUrl]\n[=gitcmd.FallIsLast] [=gitcmd.FallAge]\n[=gitcmd.FallMessage]\n[=gitcmd.FallAuthor] [=gitcmd.FallDate.D.M.Y h:m:s]\n[=gitcmd.GeneralStatus]

And this is how it works:
[img]https://i.ibb.co/1v6BHyT/image.png[/img]

However (here comes the bug):
[img]https://i.ibb.co/gJ8DXP3/image.png[/img]
This happens because of the 3 \n I'm using.

Tooltips should be the smallest possible and blank lines should be stripped out.
It is my understanding that lines that only have blank characters should not be displayed at all.

Here is the list of blank characters that I know of:
[td]Unicode[/td][td]HTML[/td][td]Description[/td][td]Example[/td] [td]U+0020[/td][td]&#32[/td][td]Space[/td][td][ ][/td] [td]U+00A0[/td][td]&#160[/td][td]No-Break Space[/td][td][ ][/td] [td]U+2000[/td][td]&#8192[/td][td]En Quad[/td][td][ ][/td] [td]U+2001[/td][td]&#8193[/td][td]Em Quad[/td][td][ ][/td] [td]U+2002[/td][td]&#8194[/td][td]En Space[/td][td][ ][/td] [td]U+2003[/td][td]&#8195[/td][td]Em Space[/td][td][ ][/td] [td]U+2004[/td][td]&#8196[/td][td]Three-Per-Em Space[/td][td][ ][/td] [td]U+2005[/td][td]&#8197[/td][td]Four-Per-Em Space[/td][td][ ][/td] [td]U+2006[/td][td]&#8198[/td][td]Six-Per-Em Space[/td][td][ ][/td] [td]U+2007[/td][td]&#8199[/td][td]Figure Space[/td][td][ ][/td] [td]U+2008[/td][td]&#8200[/td][td]Punctuation Space[/td][td][ ][/td] [td]U+2009[/td][td]&#8201[/td][td]Thin Space[/td][td][ ][/td] [td]U+200A[/td][td]&#8202[/td][td]Hair Space[/td][td][ ][/td] [td]U+2028[/td][td]&#8232[/td][td]Line Separator[/td][td][
][/td] [td]U+205F[/td][td]&#8287[/td][td]Medium Mathematical Space[/td][td][ ][/td] [td]U+3000[/td][td]&#12288[/td][td]Ideographic Space[/td][td][ ][/td]

In essence, what I'm saying is that TC should be removing any blank lines. This is a pretty standard concept that applies to different contexts. From Notepad++:
[img]https://i.ibb.co/4Jmmztf/image.png[/img]

If we want to give users the possibility of adding blank lines, maybe we should force the usage of \s (= whitespace in regex). For instance, if I wanted a tooltip like:

"<blank line>
text1
<blank line>
text2
<blank line>"
We could do something like:
\s\ntext1\n\s\ntext2\n\s

As it is now, all my tooltips on files not in a Git repository are bugged. I don't think anyone would look at that and not say "there is a bug in the tooltips."

This existed before 10.0.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Tooltip trimming

Post by *umbra »

I agree that trimming whitespace characters from tooltips seems like a good improvement. Either as a new option or always enabled.

Though, I would not call the current behavior an error. If I explicitly request a new line (\n), I usually expect to see a new line. The hack with adding \s would be very unintuitive. An option for a simple trimming would be easier to understand.

For some reason, I keep thinking there is plugin field a syntax, that allows to specify a prefix/suffix text (like a new line), that is shown only when the field is not empty. But I can't find it mentioned anywhere. But maybe I'm just confusing TC it with some other program.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

umbra wrote: 2021-06-12, 19:20 UTC For some reason, I keep thinking there is plugin field a syntax, that allows to specify a prefix/suffix text (like a new line), that is shown only when the field is not empty. But I can't find it mentioned anywhere. But maybe I'm just confusing TC it with some other program.
It exists but does not support new lines, i.e.:

Code: Select all

[="Title:"html.Title]\n[="Keywords:"html.Keywords]
Mentioned here:
https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11428
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It should work when the lines are completely empty, but they are NOT due to the spaces!

Please try putting them inside the fields:
[=gitcmd.Branch" "][=gitcmd.FirstRemoteUrl]\n[=gitcmd.FallIsLast" "][=gitcmd.FallAge]\n[=gitcmd.FallMessage]\n[=gitcmd.FallAuthor]
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
pplupo

Post by *pplupo »

I've fixed mine with [=gitcmd.Branch" "][=gitcmd.FirstRemoteUrl]\n[=gitcmd.FallIsLast" "][=gitcmd.FallAge]\n[=gitcmd.FallMessage]\n[=gitcmd.FallAuthor" "][=gitcmd.FallDate.D.M.Y h:m:s]\n[=gitcmd.GeneralStatus]

Thank you, Chris.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

pplupo wrote: 2021-06-14, 18:59 UTCI've fixed mine with [...]
So there was no TC bug here? Then a better place for this topic is "English" forum...
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
pplupo

Post by *pplupo »

I don't feel there is a bug, but I can't move it either. :-/
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Moderator message