Copy & Paste (to sytem32 dir) issue on WinXP/Vista x64

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sangwooksohn

Copy & Paste (to sytem32 dir) issue on WinXP/Vista x64

Post by *sangwooksohn »

With 'x64DisableRedirection=1' entry under [Configuration] in 'wincmd.ini', TC7pb2 can have direct access to "%SystemRoot%\system32\" directory instead of being redirected to "%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\" directory in Windows XP/Vista x64 Edition.

However, when copying certain file(s) to "%SystemRoot%\system32\" directory fails in certain circumstance.

Let's say that I have "%SystemRoot%\system32\" directory shown on right window of TC set 'All File Details' view mode.

There are four general ways to copy certain file(s) to "%SystemRoot%\system32\" directory in (right windows of) TC.

1. Drag certain file(s) from the left window of TC and drop into the right window of TC. <-- Success

2. Select certain files(s) from the left window of TC and press "Ctrl+C" to copy then select the right window of TC and press "Ctrl+V" to paste it(them). <-- Success

3. Drag certain file(s) from the Windows Explorer (outside of TC) and drop into right window of TC. <-- Success

4. Select certain files(s) from the Windows Explorer (outside of TC) and press "Ctrl+C" to copy then select the right window of TC and press "Ctrl+V" to paste it(them). <-- FAILED (File(s) are copied into "%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\" directory).

Thanks.

Sang
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

That's strange, 2 and 4 use the EXACT SAME paste function. Are you sure that it works in case 2 and fails in case 4?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

I confirm this under WinXP x64. Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V from one panel of TC into another works fine, while Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V from Explorer into TC does not work (copies the file into SysWOW64).
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I can only guess that Windows is creating a separate thread for copying in this case, but doesn't call the redirection functions.

If this is the case, there is really nothing I can do about it.

FYI, I simply call GetUIObjectOf for the current folder to get the IContextMenu interface, and then call InvokeCommand with the "paste" verb. The rest is done by Windows...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com