Middle button scroll

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

GrayShade

Middle button scroll

Post by *GrayShade »

On Vista and 7, scrolling the file panels with the middle button (wheel click) doesn't work anymore.

From what I've seen, this applies to many controls in Vista (Listview, ListBox, TextBox).

The strange thing is that it worked for me on 7 for a few times, but I don't know why it did.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Welcome GrayShade

TC does not support the middle mouse button scroll by itself.
The strange thing is that it worked for me on 7 for a few times, but I don't know why it did
This is either added by some mouse driver software, or after using the Internet Explorer ActiveX Control inside TC.
So i guess you have viewed an HTML page using Ieview.wlx, or you have started the CHM Help just before.

Regards
Holger
GrayShade

Post by *GrayShade »

I don't have Ieview and I doubt it's from a CHM since I don't have the help file. Also, it's not a mouse driver. Might be some shell extension, though.

Anyway, I think it would be nice for this to work again, even if Microsoft seems to hate the middle button (first Notepad and the Vista controls, now Visual Studio 2010).
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

GrayShade wrote:I don't have Ieview and I doubt it's from a CHM since I don't have the help file
It's not a assumption, I'd tested this before (TC7.5pb3 /Vista).
Might be some shell extension, though.
Your are right, after "Context menu -> Properties" the middle mouse button scroll starts to work here.
Anyway, I think it would be nice for this to work again
As I said, afaik it never worked by design. Feel free to add a suggestion for native middle mouse button scrolling.
even if Microsoft seems to hate the middle button
Looks like the opposite. After starting some MS-DLL's inside TC's process, this feature is available without any code change.

Regards
Holger
Last edited by HolgerK on 2009-05-19, 21:15 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

I had to set the middle scroll button for TC and EditPlus with the MS software that comes with the mouse. With Intellipoint, you can set the middle button for almost anything. I use middle-click for it right now.
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

After starting some MS-DLL's inside TC's process, this feature is available without any code change.
What DLLs do I need to load to get it back?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
GrayShade

Post by *GrayShade »

HolgerK, you're right: the file properties window makes that available, even for other applications (like Notepad).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I assume that this loads some DLL used by the properties dialog, but not by Total Commander itself. Therfore my question to HolgerK what DLL that could be...
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Sorry, i don't know exactly what MS DLL is responsible for this.
I've noticed only that after using:
- ieview.wlx
- the CHM-Help
- an Open/Save Dialog
- a property page
the middle mouse button magically starts to work here in vista.
Unfortunaly Processexplorer listed a lot of additional loaded DLL in any of this cases.

I will try break it down and investigate.

Regards
Holger
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

I give up :cry:

Tried to load the additional DLLs from a lister plugin (mainly "ieframe.dll" or "iertutil.dll") but only calling DLLMain seems to be insufficient to make the autoscroll work again.

Besides of this, the enabled autoscroll (after <Alt+Enter><Esc>) leaves some negative impressions:

- Scrolling is done with pixel wise smooth scroll (even if "Listbox smooth scrolling" is disabled)

- Releasing the middle button needs some seconds before scrolling stops (smooth scroll)

- Scroll speed has only two different stages (depend on the distance of the anchor point)
The first one is to slow (takes ages before the next line scrolls into view).
The second one is definitely to fast (acts more like PgUp/Dwn)

- Autoscroll is not available in "Compare by content" or "Image Preview in lister" (would be nice to navigate inside large pictures)

If that is really wanted (personal i don't really miss it) it may be a better solution to integrate a auto scroll/panning feature directly into TC (e.g. like this old MFC example Codeguru: Intellimouse panning 2 (A universal Auto-Panning solution))
This way it would be independent of OS version/Mouse driver tool, and could be fine tuned to match different views/needs.

Regards
Holger
GrayShade

Post by *GrayShade »

I'm not seeing the smooth scroll issue.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

We will probably have to wait for the release of Windows 7 final to see workarounds to this bug. I guess that the Internet Explorer control itself uses this scrolling method, and therefore somehow turns it on in the calling program.
TLis

Re: Middle button scroll

Post by *TLis »

GrayShade wrote:On Vista and 7, scrolling the file panels with the middle button (wheel click) doesn't work anymore.

From what I've seen, this applies to many controls in Vista (Listview, ListBox, TextBox).

The strange thing is that it worked for me on 7 for a few times, but I don't know why it did.
Strange. I have noticed that if I run TC without elevated privileges, the scrolling of the panels using the mouse wheel works fine. Only if I request 'Run as administrator' (on Vista), it stops working.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

TC doesn't do that scrolling by itself, it's part of the standard LISTBOX control. I guess that this is a Vista/7 bug that the scrolling doesn't work in elevated state.
ThiefMaster

Post by *ThiefMaster »

Bump.
A fix would be awesome. Even if panning kind of sucks (usually it's either too slow or too fast :P) I'd love to see it back because now with it not working I notice how often I try to use it, e.g. when I want to scroll down completely I just press the middle button and move the mouse far down.