Can't view jpeg in Lister tool

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

AFAIK there must be a contiguous block of RAM for the WM_COPYDATA to succeed.
It is just peculiar that AntonDudarenko has problems with both Irfanview and Xnview - tested at different times - what is the chance of twice (with hours between trying) to not have enough contiguous memory?

Also AntonDudarenko reports it as a permanent problem, not occasional - wouldn't it be occasional if the reason was non-contiguous memory?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

petermad,
what is the chance of twice (with hours between trying) to not have enough contiguous memory?
The larger the uptime the less the chance.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Ok, - but why Ghisler could not create a simple program - or someone else from this site - which will test behavior of the process "Open JPEG file in Lister via IrfanView prog." on my computer??? (or maybe will produce simple full log of this process like
open file - OK
reserved memory - OK
call IViewIrfanViewer inteface - OK
etc...)
I dont' think that for ex. when I turned on my comp. the first thing which i did after that = tried to open the same JPEG - and as usual without success - mean that I do not have enough contiguous memory((((

RAM was tested with memtest86+ prog.
there are NO any errors or warnings....
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

even new computers can have faulty RAM
It has nothing to do with faulty RAM! It's about the usage of that RAM - if it's too fragmented, the allocation of such a large contiguous block will fail. Try restarting Total Commander, and if that doesn't help, try to restart Windows itself.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

AntonDudarenko wrote:Ok, - but why Ghisler could not create a simple program - or someone else from this site - which will test behavior of the process "Open JPEG file in Lister via IrfanView prog." on my computer???
Why do you think that someome must do something for you? :?:
Please try to be more patient if you want to get feedback.
AntonDudarenko wrote:I dont' think that for ex. when I turned on my comp. the first thing which i did after that = tried to open the same JPEG - and as usual without success - mean that I do not have enough contiguous memory((((
If this problem is essential for you, you should test it. No one will go to your home in order to find out exact reason.

And why not to setup IV associations and not to use Enter for opening image files in IV? You won't have any problems in this case. Or why just not to use Imagine plugin? Do you have any file formats not supported by Imagine?
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

I do not demand - I question. And similar the voice of one crying in the wilderness...
If the problem is known with using of IrfanView - why in general in the program remains possibility of work with IrfanView?
Yes, I have passed now completely to other plug-in - but what for to push to it? Why then at once not to define the position on the given problem and at once in the HELP file?? In That way any person will know that the similar bug exists and at once it is necessary to search for ways of its decision

And still - I already wrote - all memory has been checked up and repeatedly with very solid special programs...
All is completely excellent.... So it is not necessary to talk about my memory...
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Can't view jpeg in Lister tool (IrfanView WM_COPYDATA issue)

Post by *DrShark »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2009-08-25, 10:31 UTC This is a known problem with showing images via Irfanview: Since Irfanview converts the image to BMP format and then passes it to TC via a Windows message (WM_COPYDATA), the image can become really HUGE. If Irfanview fails to allocate that memory all in one block, the sending to TC will fail.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2008-10-16, 15:22 UTCThe viewer then either sends the image back via clipboard (old method), or via another WM_COPYDATA call (new method).
Does the clipboard method have memory restrictions similar to WM_COPYDATA message method? If not, maybe in case of WM_COPYDATA method fail on some file, TC could ask IrfanView to send the BMP via clipboard (if IrfanView supports that)?
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can't view jpeg in Lister tool

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Well, you also need to allocate a global block of memory for copying to clipboard, so it probably has the same limitations.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Can't view jpeg in Lister tool

Post by *Usher »

2ghisler(Author)
It's a little strange.
I can see in Lister:
File size 36,8 MB, image size 18000x18000, size in memory 927 MB
I can't see in Lister:
File size 171 MB, image size 18956x10646, size in memory 577 MB

EDIT. It seems that I have some buggy plugins. After starting tests I couldn't execute any cm_ or em_ command. TC reported "Access denied" for TotalCmd.INC and crashed on close.

Now I did tests again. Both files load with option "Fit only larger images to window" turned on. NONE loads when I press L to view full size image. Lister shows proper scrollbars but the windows stays blank.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator