Can't view jpeg in Lister tool

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Can't view jpeg in Lister tool

Post by *AntonyD »

I have a folder with my favorite photos inside.
Also in Lister Configure dialog ALL checkboxes ARE set in 'Multimedia display' group and of course proper path to installed IrfanView is set too.

This picture (On the same level with many other pic) I cannot see inside Lister AS a PICTURE - only as a binary file.
http://rapidshare.de/files/48202369/desktop.jpg.html

But If I will run IrfanView via ALT-F3 combination -- IrfanView can show to me this pic.

For ex. this pic I CAN see as a picture: http://rapidshare.de/files/48202438/desktop2.jpg.html
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

TC 7.5 RC1
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is a known problem with showing images via Irfanview: Since Irfanview converts the image to BMP format and then passes it to TC via a Windows message (WM_COPYDATA), the image can become really HUGE. If Irfanview fails to allocate that memory all in one block, the sending to TC will fail. Solution: Use a Lister plugin like Imagine or sgviewer.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2AntonDudarenko
No problems with first file preview in lister (having Irfan Path set properly).

Does binary mode changes after pressing 4 in your case?

If not, can you post somewhere other problematic files, just for the sake of finding out what they have in common?

P.S. It is a workaround but you can always use Imagine plugin.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2fenix_productions
No it does not...

I will try to post one archive - but for now I can add yet only one pic.
http://rapidshare.de/files/48202750/kamenskikh1.jpg.html

2ghisler(Author)
I converted manually posted above jpeg and got 12MB BMP file
And you want to say that in time of GB's memory available on comps IrfanView could not send via WM_COPYDATA 12 MB??????????????? nonsense!

btw - this BMP file Lister could show to me!! HOW????

And more - if such problem is known - why you are not integrating by default such plugins like Imagine and sgviewer??
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, it seems that WM_COPYDATA has special memory requirements (same address in source and target program or so).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

But if "it seems that WM_COPYDATA has special memory requirements" don't you think that Lister should not even try to show pictures via IrfanView?? Maybe you should add by default one of mentioned special plugins?? like Imagine and sgviewer??

And yet - did you talk with IrfanView author about that case? Did he suggest something or what?
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

It is strange to read that it may be some kind of WM_COPYDATA size issue because everything works perfect here even with bigger files.

Although "allocating data" process can point out to some memory problems.

2AntonDudarenko
All I can ask is:
Are you sure there is nothing with your RAM?
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2fenix_productions

heh))) New - just (1 month) from market - modern computer - tested & verified by manufacturer.
I sure that's all is ok..

And again - i do not understand why if there is even small possibility that such bug can appear - why not to deliver TC with some preinstalled plugins which will work IN ANY cases with pictures.
Also I do not understand why if there is even small possibility that such bug can appear - why not to talk with ItfanView` author about this problem...

Also I cann assist to ghisler in a way of problem's core finding.
Ghisler can create a special varsion of TC for ex. with enabled super-LOG option - and I will try to reproduce the problem and will send that final LOG file to him for deep analyse..
Last edited by AntonyD on 2009-08-25, 12:33 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

AntonDudarenko wrote:And again - i do not understand why if there is even small possibility that such bug can appear - why not to deliver TC with some preinstalled plugins which will work IN ANY cases with pictures.
That's the place for various "TC packs" widely available on Internet (like. TC UP or TC PowerPack).

Deciding to add one plugin means that other users will want to have "few more" (i.e. something for PDF, DOC, whatever you can imagine). Writing down own plugin takes time but, as we all know, TC is one man project so it is would be better to have an author focused on TC itself rather than implementing WLXes.
AntonDudarenko wrote: Also I do not understand why if there is even small possibility that such bug can appear - why not to talk with ItfanView` author about this problem...
I hope Christian will do that.

P.S. Just wondering: does the same bug happen with XnView for you?

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

XnView - never even tried to use... too heavy in "GUI interface" tool

but i will try now)))
#146217 personal license
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

AntonDudarenko wrote:XnView - never even tried to use... too heavy in "GUI interface" tool
I had had the same opinion in the past and changed my mind. Since I use it mainly through TC it does not bother me anymore. What is more important: it supports more formats than IV.

Being honest: I am mostly using Imagine (due to the speed) but thanks to the IViewAdditionalTypes INI parameter I have XnV for handling extension which are not supported in this plugin. Thanks to this mix I can still see how quick TC is for most common formats without losing anything for more rare ones.

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2fenix_productions
btw the same problem and with XnV ((((

but maybe you can send on my mail your way how you are using simultaneously Imagine + XnV - with screenshots of settings and example of INI file?
Anton.Dudarenko {on the server} mail.ru

UPDATED:
Uau!! You are absolutely right! Imagine plugin is so quick)))
but still wating your ways how to use IViewAdditionalTypes INI settings...
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2AntonDudarenko
btw - this BMP file Lister could show to me!! HOW????
Because Lister can show bmp files by itself, without the use of IrfanviewXnview or plugins.

I can report that I can view all your 3 pictures without any problems with both Irfanview and Xnview along with Imagine, SGViewer and IMGview plugins.
Are you sure there is nothing with your RAM?
You should consider this as an explanation - even new computers can have faulty RAM.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

AFAIK there must be a contiguous block of RAM for the WM_COPYDATA to succeed.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.