[ALL] Right and left Alt Keys are different

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

LonerD

[ALL] Right and left Alt Keys are different

Post by *LonerD »

During remaping hotkeys in TC Configuration I can set only one ALT key.
:(
But in some keyboard layouts (Ukrainian, Polish) right ALT key do not work in TC.
For example, the left ALT+F7 - search and the right ALT+F7 - no reaction.
I do not know - it's a bug or peculiarity.
But I would like to be able to use the left and right keys (so that they perform the same function, or at least that they can be customized in TC configuration).
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

You sure you have an ALT-Key on the right and not
an AltGr key on the right side :?:
Hoecker sie sind raus!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

On most European keyboards, right Alt works as Ctrl+Alt.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
LonerD

Post by *LonerD »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:You sure you have an ALT-Key on the right and not
an AltGr key on the right side :?:
On my Logitech keyboard it label "AltGr", on my Aser noteboot it label "Alt".
In RU and EN layouts right Alt in Total work same as left Alt.
In UK and PL layouts right Alt (or AltGr) not work in Total hotkeys and no way for configure it in settings.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

You could likely use one of the key remapping tools to change it back to a regular ALT key. Not sure how they might work with international keyboards, but is worth a shot at least. The one that worked the best for me in the past was KeyTweak. Or perhaps charprobe by Dextronet and sharpkeys3.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

In UK and PL layouts right Alt (or AltGr) not work in Total hotkeys and no way for configure it in settings.
Just configue Ctrl+Alt+your_key - that is the same as AltGr or right Alt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Polish
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#United_Kingdom
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

The other option, is to do shortcuts in another Tool, things like AHK, AutoIT, etc, can distinguish between the Left and Right modifier keys.

As well, at least with TC 7.5x, TwinKey can be used to assign shortcuts for TC and it can distinguish between Left/Right modifier keys as well.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
Azarien

Post by *Azarien »

On some european keyboard layouts (including PL) the right [Alt] — or [AltGr], it does not matters what's physically painted on the key! — is supposed to work differently than left [Alt] key.

Generally, the (right)[AltGr] key works like (left)[Alt] + [Ctrl].
LonerD

Post by *LonerD »

Thanks to all.
I set Alt+Ctrl fo all TC commands that contains Alt-key.
"I used to feel guilty in Cambridge that I spent all day playing games, while I was supposed to be doing mathematics. Then, when I discovered surreal numbers, I realized that playing games IS math." John Horton Conway
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [ALL] Right and left Alt Keys are different

Post by *MVV »

Maybe an option should be added for treating AltGr as just Alt? It is really a pain to get all right-handed shortcuts lost just because of MS stupidity... For many years both Alts worked in the same way but in last Windowses right Alt began to work as Alt+Ctrl... :(
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2MVV
It's neither new nor only "MS stupidity".
Read the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key
When reading sections "Meaning" and "Control + Alt as a substitute" note timestamps of references, please. The substitution is as old as PCs with no AltGr key, for example laptops with Windows 95.

As AltGr and its substitution are in common use for many years, not only in Windows, some programs really have options to disable this behavior, see for example: https://documentation.help/PuTTY/config-ctrlalt.html

However, some simple minded programmers still ignore international settings and provide incompatible software, even when working in large international corporations (for example Adobe, Intel, Nvidia, ATi/AMD).
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Maybe an option should be added for treating AltGr as just Alt?
On Scandinavian keyboards (and many others) the Alt+Gr Key is used for a lot of the accented characters and for example fo characyers like @£${[]}€\
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I know that many keyboards really have AltGr key, but in Russia for decades both Alts were just Alts, so recent change is quite annoying. As I know, MS have transformed right Alt to AltGr just in order to add RUB character that may be typed via AltGr+8, but the same character may be easilly typed via Alt+Ctrl+8, so it is a stupid change for just a single character that may be typed even w/o this stupid change, just using two modifier keys instead of one.

As for TC, I hope that it is hard to add such an option to treat AltGr as Alt, and this option won't hurt anyway being disabled by default.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

MVV wrote: 2019-11-15, 06:18 UTC As I know, MS have transformed right Alt to AltGr just in order to add RUB character that may be typed via AltGr+8, but the same character may be easilly typed via Alt+Ctrl+8
1. You can use older keyboard layout, with no ‎₽ character at all.
2. You can modify older (add missing character) or existing (remap key) keyboard layout. Browse Google search results:
https://www.google.com/search?q=MS+keyboard+layout+creator
3. You can download and install alternate (third party) keyboard layout. I suspect that someone has already created and published needed layout, if the problem is really annoying. For example I use Polish „Mocny Akcent” layout as it has more typographic characters available (– — ® ™ © ± ¶ § „ ” … ‰) with AltGr.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I can patch registry and I do it when I have admin rights.
I can't use older layout when OS have already installed unhappy update, it is just gone.
When you create a keyboard layout, you get MSI file w/o a digital signature, so it is unsafe to use such files...

And, it is not a good option to do such things for TC running from USB stick on another PC... So this thing makes TC less portable.