[9.0a] ThumbIconSize>48 video files crash

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

[9.0a] ThumbIconSize>48 video files crash

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

Tested on clean TC 9.0a x64, Win 10 and ThumbIconSize values 49, 64, 96 (48 behaves fine).
  1. enter a folder with enough of video files (my videos are MOV files, sized nearly 2GB each)
  2. set Thumbnails view
  3. thumbnail extraction crashes TC, but not always: in my case crash happens before 15th video, usually after 8th, on seemingly random video file
Alternative flow: maximize window, set thumbnail view, close TC, open TC, it crashes.

Related post mentioned no crash.
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

What are your settings for extracting these thumbnails?
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

Clean TC:

Code: Select all

ThumbIconSize=96
ThumbsLocation=
ThumbsCopyDel=1
ThumbsCustomFieldsEnabled=1
ThumbWidthNoCache=96
ThumbHeightNoCache=96
ThumbOptions=15
ThumbExplTypes=*.* | *.htm *.html
ThumbPlgTypes=*.*
ThumbIrfXnTypes=*.*
ThumbTxtTypes=*.txt *.ini
One relevant thing I didn't mention is that extraction of thumbnails should really be happening, that is, videos should not have thumbs in the database. I just couldn't reproduce the bug until I deleted the local thumbnails database (made ThumbsLocation empty) - then TC crashed again.

The other VERY relevant thing - KeyPath should be set to correct license key folder. Otherwise it's hard to reproduce - I had to press correct button fast enough, before all the thumbnails are extracted.
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I don't think that I can do anything about that - it must be a bug in the Explorer extension loading these thumbs.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

Why would it depend on ThumbIconSize value then? TC never crashes with ThumbIconSize=48, but almost always with ThumbIconSize=96, while ThumbWidthNoCache=96, ThumbHeightNoCache=96 are the same for both tests. From the TC history and behavior I get that ThumbIconSize is only relevant to display icons, not thumbs. Are any Explorer extensions used to extract icons as well??
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can control via Configuration - Options - Thumbnails which methods are used to load icons. Try excluding the video thumbnails from Explorer method:

*.* | *.mov
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

This of course leaves just the file type icon instead of the real thumbnail. The crash is gone. But that doesn't answer my question. For any value of ThumbIconSize in my tests (48, 49, 64, 96), the size of real thumbnails was always 96, so the thumbs extracted were of the same size, but the extraction process somehow crashed when ThumbIconSize was >48. IMO Explorer thumb extraction should not depend on ThumbIconSize value when the thumb is NOT a file type icon.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, apparently it does - maybe the Explorer never requests 48x48 thumbs (e.g. it requests a fixed size and resizes by itself), so the bug in the extension remained undetected.
izofox

Re: [9.0a] ThumbIconSize>48 video files crash

Post by *izofox »

Hi!
I have a bug on some video files with thumbnails preview.
I use Explorer method (OLE2) and Total Commander crashes when it ties to create previews, for at least two files which I've found.
This problem can be repeated when you have thumbnails size different from 1:1 or 4:3 propotions.
I'd like to have thumbnail 16:9 for video or at least close to this size, because a lot of videos have this aspect ratio.
When I set up 256x144 thumbnails size or any other, like even 320x160 px, my Total Commander crashes. Even if I will run clean version, I have the same results.
If I set 256x192 or 256x256 all is okay, but it's not a desired aspect ratio.

I attach link to google drive and you can download and test previews on this files.
For the rest of videos it works good, but I had this problem several times with crashes. I don't remember, maybe it was the same file each time when it was crash.

Thank you.
Also I will attach video which display this problem.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Sgr90CWnrns9M3hWs6QVghwqolhE7N4s